1/10/2011

And you thought I was kidding...

One day last spring Morris and I returned from our walk in the woods and sat on the porch gazing out at the garden.... I suddenly realized I couldn't see my bell as it was all overgrown.. Not only I couldn't see my bell, I couldn't even remember the last time I rang the bell.. I believed when we closed the nursery was the last time...years and years. Since customers were spread throughout the garden I rang the bell one-half hour before closing so that they could start checking out... I loved the bell and I loved ringing it

In early days all churches and towns had bells... They were rung on all special days and occasions. They were rung as alarms and to celebrate joy. What a terrible shame to have a gorgeous bell and not ring it. So all summer and fall we rang the bell every day at the end of our walk... We're not walking in the snow now but we ring the bell when we finish morning chores... How lucky I am to have my great big, beautiful, cast-iron bell.

2 comments:

Eileene said...

Gerry, I love my bell too. I'd always wanted one and finally last year I stopped at a yard sale and got the one there for $10.00. Can you believe it??? I almost fainted. Now I just need my hubby to hang it for me. Oh, and mine is not as large as yours. But I love as much. hehehe Eileene

Susan Elliott said...

I love this story about your bell. When we were kids, my father bought a fixer upper house down on a creek off the Chesapeake Bay that was two doors down from his sister and her family -- my four cousins. His brother (my uncle) also lived there right next door to his sister. My Mom hated to go down there because the house was always under construction...it didn't have AC and because it smelled..well....like a creek.

My father would take me and my two brothers and we spent many a summer weekend hanging out with my cousins, canoeing, building forts, treasure collecting at the dump for our forts...etc. We were on the loose and the adults had no idea where we were most of the time. My Aunt Mary would ring a really big bell every night at dinner time and we would all run from hither and yon to get home. We had to do all the dishes if we were late...

Thanks for the memory. I'm going to call my Uncle and ask him about the origin of that old bell and where it is now...

Is this the post you had in mind for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts