1/04/2011

AAQ center finished

I had promised myself that I would not rework this quilt which always makes me so slow so this is how it's going into the contest....I used the magic of Photoshop to show it with the border... I will embellish the border with black lace and sequin trim...
Add Image

I believe it does fit the theme which is "Alliances: People, Patterns, Passion", celebrating cooperative relationships that work towards a common goal.


The very last and one of the most important embellishments were the chain and padlock... It was a prime strategy for the suffragette movement to attract media coverage and get arrested by chaining themselves to doors, fences and gates of important government buildings and facilities... and it worked.

It's odd to work with so many images but on the suffragette quilt there will be enough blocks to spread out the images... I was sorry to cover up most of my favorite patches of fabric... I'll start on the quilt this evening....hooray!!! January 4 and I can see I will attain a goal....
PS: I was considering some changes but left both images on the computer screen for about an hour and decided to go with it as is...... YOU MUST read Momma Bear's comment... her auntie chained herself to a building...

8 comments:

Lisa Boni said...

Looking good Gerry! If I were you, I would NOT rework this. I think the center left bit balances the piece and adds interest. Without it, it seems lopsided to me. If I were going to take something out, it would be the lower right banner that duplicates the one in the upper right, and use a crochet motif there instead.

I'm just getting recovered from frozen burst pipes. Hope to get stitching again soon. Just took all the wind out of my sails!

Momma Bear said...

NO! No! NO!
don't change a thing!!!!
embellish to your hearts content but the foundation is perfect!
having had an auntie who chained herself to the gates of the chicago stock exchange building so they wouldn't tear it down (they did*sigh*)
I love the padlock and chain!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous and perfect as is! It is classy, defiant, and as relevant (in style and content) today as it would have been a hundred years ago. It’s a winner! Hugs, Cathy

Cathy said...

Superb work as usual. It certainly does fit the theme. I have an entry for the AAQ almost completed myself but it is not CQ. Now I almost don't want to enter mine because yours is clearly a winner(but I sure would like to win a handiquilter)!

Anyway...I love what you've done because I love history (as it relates to family genealogy) and I love quilting (of any kind)and your work is something to aspire to (darned dangling prepositions).

Cathy L

Rose Anne B said...

OH MY Gerry that is AWESOME!!! Congratulations on a well done representation of that so important era!!! It is just beautiful!

Pearl said...

Loving it, it brings many emotions and makes me feel a kinship to all these women who went through so much.

Unknown said...

I hope you'll bring it to Connecticut so we can see it in person.

Susan Elliott said...

Funny. I hadn't read Lisa's comment until now and had come to the same conclusion myself. That second lower banner isn't really needed -- in fact...I don't think you need anything there...if you feel the need, maybe you expand the frame of the large pic to travel over a few seams but I like leaving it blank.

LOVE the lock and chain -- it's an awesome touch!...In fact, the chain could be even bigger because I didn't see it right away. That might just be photography...

Love the old victorian metal buttons and the cameo. And I really like how the transfer of the men is imperfect. In fact that might be my favorite thing of all.

This is SUCH a great idea and it is SO worth finishing. I don't expect you'll have any problem finishing it though...bravo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts