7/18/2018

To blog or not to blog...

All winter and spring I struggled with the changes in my life caused by my vision problems and often didn't post for weeks as without stitching did I really have anything worth saying?  I've given up stitching, bridge, driving, painting buttons among other things.  Thank heavens for my giant computer screen.  I do check the stats and people do still read the blog but I did see a drop when I didn't write about crazy quilting  anymore...




I have been blogging for over ten years and occasionally have thought about stopping at different times like when I approached 1000 posts or 1500 posts and now am approaching 2000 posts which might be a good time to quit.  Even better sometime within the year I will reach 1,000,000 views... maybe that should be the stopping point.

But from the very beginning I included  posts about my personal everyday life and even have a category called "Gerry's Journal"  and it has become just that and I would miss the writing of it. Not all have been happy posts...there were  posts about being robbed, hit by lightening, riding my bike off the mountain, and a cougar killing my sheep... But many more happy posts also,,, the suffragette quilt going to Houston,  Morris's vacation and the joys of my family, garden and kitchen.  I have even shared the difficulties of having a husband, who even at 84, is a chick magnet.


 Four years ago I did a recap of the blog at 1500 posts and now I am at post #1903 and think I'll  continue to blog as long as I can see the computer screen and hope that even though it is now about jewelry, gardening, cooking, etc. and  there will be friends who still tune in as my life is going in all new directions....
..

 The only discouraging thing is how Blogger handles (or doesn't handle) comments.  Some used to come to my gmail and were easy to answer.  Others I couldn't  answer unless I made Hotmail my primary mail and that didn't work either.  But since I can't fix it I guess it is what it is.

All these photoshopped versions of me are from various posts from over the years.

9 comments:

Momma Bear said...

keep blogging Gerry! I love your recipes, food never goes out of style ad the table you set is lovely. I also like life stuff,since it happens to us all. I'd miss you if you stopped.

Diana said...

Such a lovely smile!

crafty cat corner said...

Hi there Gerry. I wondered what had happened to your posts and now I know.
I don't often comment but always read your posts, I followed your robbery and love your little dog. I for one would miss you even though I'm over here in the uk.
I'm sure you miss your needelwork and I'm often telling Tom (husband) that I would hate it if I couldn't sew but I shall still enjoy your jewellery etc. Keep trucking, I love your blog. lol
Briony
x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Sometimes I think I will stop blogging. Do people read? Why don't they comment? Not interested in what I had to share today? I lost readers when I stopped beading, but then I gained some when I started CQ. The way of the world went to FB, then to Instagram which I HATE. So WHY do I continue to blog? I guess it's because I want to keep in touch with the blog friends I have made. Blogging and commenting is much more personal than a FB or IG post. Keep blogging if YOU want to. I will always read your post. Even if I don't have what I think is a worthy comment, I will be sure to say hello. Promise.
xx, Carol

Marci said...

I started reading your blog because of the stitching, I kept reading because it is interesting. Hope you keep blogging.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Hi Gerry. Don't stop blogging. I may not comment very often but I do enjoy reading what you post.

Here's a link to a blog with instructions on how to fix the comments thingy. It worked for me but you may have to do it a couple of times before it sticks though. I still have a few comments where I don't get an email. I don't know to fix those though:(

https://shez86.blogspot.com/2018/06/how-to-fix-comment-problem-another-bunny.html

I just closed on one of my blogs on doll making that I have had for about 8 years. When you post and absolutely no one visits or comments it is a bit demoralizing. However I still have another blog that I will keep open. I do it more for myself as a journal of what I make.

Susie Wolfe said...

Please don't stop blogging .... a hiatus now and then is OK (if necessary) ..... but don't stop! I would miss is so much. The blog is how we met so many years ago. Think how different our lives would be without that!??! Whatever comes along, you will always be interesting .... it's your perspective on those things that matters and is important (plus it's usually entertaining too). Love you lots!!

cq4lefleur said...

I have never commented on a blog. Who would care what I think. Anyway you are so interesting and creative. This post cracked me up. Love your funny photos. It was also a walk down memory lane, since I’ve know you through many of the thick’s and thins. Don’t quit because of lack of comments. I love checking in with you via blogomia. Love you to bits.
See you soon.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I notice a lot of people are opting out of blogging in favour of instagram and facebook....not something I ever plan to do. I love blogs and the friends I've made. At first I thought I *had* to post at least five days each week and it was becoming a bit of a chore to think of things to blog about. Now I seem to have settled in to 3 x week (most weeks) and that seems to suit me best. I think, as artists, we evolve, and so too do our blogs to reflect that evolutionary process. Mine has been primarily crazy quilting but now my interest (although I still love CQ and won't be giving it up) is centered on old barns. Who knows what will come in the years to come!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts