11/01/2010

Thrift store haul

I did really well at the thrift stores today.. I scored on about 5 great silk ties and several silk blouses plus vintage style prints in fancy fabrics...(all with 99 cent tags) After I added some from my stash I am pretty happy with the selection of fabrics... I love blacks with texture so there are several of those. Then I wanted a great variety of prints...checks, dots, florals, geometrics, and stripes....almost all on a very small scale... I figured all these prints would be appropriate for women at the turn of the century...

The piece in the middle is not that bright rust as it appears... It has a much softer color palette and will be the focal fabric for the quilt.. It's a vintage twill taffeta and has lots of muted roses and paisleys... I've been saving it forever for just the right project and this is it... I need a few more pieces to round it out... especially some soft rust colors. I keep reminding myself it's going to take a lot of fabric to do nine 11" blocks..

DH is going to be gone 9 days beginning the Nov. 16... and I will do the blocks then.. I make an enormous mess doing blocks.. I use the dining table and a couple card tables and have fabric everywhere...

An assisted living unit has open up for my mother and her friend and would be ready to move them in by the middle of the month... This hinges on her friend recovering from his stroke which is not looking too promising at this point... In that case we will have to find a smaller place for her... so all is still up in the air.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these Thrift Shop finds!!
Love your last post too. We take what our Fore Mothers did for granted sometimes.It's good to be reminded how tough it still is for women .

Pearl said...

Nice fun day I always love thrifting. I hope things work out for your Mom and Friend. Have fun, Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts