11/03/2010

Color transition & AAQ auction

This was to have been my entry in the Alliance for American Quilts contest. The theme was "From Old to New" I chose from the fan of my grandmother's day to the cell phone of my granddaughter's. All it needs is backing and a border... I really needed another week to finish and was so disappointed I didn't.. Especially now that I'm watching the quilts are being auctioned off on e-bay as a fundraiser....next year for sure. The theme for next year will be announced soon.. You should follow along with the auction.. there are several quilts I'll bid on in weeks three and four.

I really picked a too ambitious plan for the time I had and I often do that. I keep wanting to do sixteen squares for the suffragette quilt to use more photos but KNOW that I would get bogged down and struggle to finish... So nine squares is realistic and doable. The hard part will be narrowing the choice of photos...

But I did do a color transition on the block when I pieced it to emphasize from old to new.. I want to do something similar with the suffragette quilt but more black to sepia. This time I want the the lighter area to be in the center block of the quilt. As it happens a small thrift store is quite close to where mom's friend is a patient and when I dropped her off to visit him today I went over and found six or seven great fancy blouses to cut up.


Again I went to photoshop to play with the effect and visually "cut" small squares from the above image and moved them around to get the effect I wanted.. except my center will be more sepia than yellow....






6 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Sorry you weren't able to finish. This is an amazing piece and I love the idea. You have put so much detail into this. I am very impressed! Take care, Connie

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me to get acquainted with my printer's ability to play around (like Photoshop)and get some previews of the quilts I design. Sorry about your entry not making it in, but I know it would have been a winner!

Cathy said...

That's a lovely plan for the new quilt. - Cathy L

FredaB said...

I was wondering what had happened to your entry. Now I know. It happens to all of us that things always take longer then we imagine. Never enough time for us CQ gals.

I really like your new header with the hand painted buttons and pin cushions. Very nice.

Hugs

FredaB

Connie said...

I'm so sorry you didn't finish. I love how you are using photoshop. Let us know what the theme for next year will be, won't you?

Susan Elliott said...

It's fascinating to see your ideas and your inspiration for your quilt. Will you be sorting your photographs by color too...meaning...the darker colored ones on the outside and the lighter, sepia-colored ones toward the middle? Maybe that will help you winnow down your choices...if you squint and see if their color matches up...reminds me of those big photograph montages they make of a person's face or something from thousands of smaller images. I think I'm really digressing here. Just wanted to say that I'm here with my popcorn ready for the show.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts