11/17/2010

Chunks into clumps inspired by Allie

Did the side blocks last night....too tired to do anymore... and of course Morris needed a lot of attention after I was gone all day. This is the most accurate photo so far as to the color palette of my patches... They're ALL very rich fabrics and very rich colors.. silks, taffeta, and brocades.

I've NEVER pieced a quilt in this fashion.. For years I've used a little pattern...the same pattern for everything or the 5-sided center patch method. But I always hated piecing and Allie loves piecing so I decided she knows something I don't know.... So I tried to follow what she did... I just cuts lots of chunks.. laid them out, played around with them and then started sewing them into clumps until I could cover the foundation square... ...all very loose... By the third block I got the hang of it...a little anyway and it is fun...And she did tell me that she did that post just for me.... (Well what she actually said is that she had me in mind when she did it....almost the same thing ..right?) Of course I changed my mind right off on my plan... Instead of working lighter colors into the outer blocks I've decided to work more dark back into the center... Don't you love a decisive mind???


With the magic of photoshop I can use snippets to see what where I'm going and even maybe the border... I do know I want to include the movement's colors....lavender, green and white.. I will do a sash or two on felt but mostly want to use those colors in little floral vignettes of violets, leaves and baby's breath repeated throughout the quilt.. Of course the colors are way too dark in this photo but I can use it as a guide of sorts.



This is one of the photos for the center block... I will make it sepia tone... What I REALLY love about this photo is the words and arrow "WAY OUT!"

And that hat is to die for..... I need to darken this photo to get a good print and since her face is already shaded, it would make her face too dark... I will have to do something clever about that problem...stay tuned....

4 comments:

allie aller said...

Gerry, I am thrilled that this approach works for you! You've made me so happy!
Love the colors (and of course the subject)...you will be bringing this to CT, right?

Laurie said...

Wow Gerry, I'm anxious to see where this will go. The colors and textures work so perfect together.

akaber9598 said...

I love the whole idea of your sufferagette cq and I am thoroughly enjoying the play-by-play!

akaber9598 said...

I love the whole idea of your sufferagette quilt and I am loving the play-by play!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts