1/13/2012

Gold in California

Now that the eventuality of downsizing is ever looming I am constantly prioritizing what are my most prized possessions... On this trip I was gifted one that quickly rose to near the top of the list...  It was Cathy K. who actually found it ... Being the kind generous soul she is, she gave it to me as she could see how much I loved it.  It is small..about 7" square and is vintage goldwork on silk..  Most of the gold is worn from the cording but that just adds to its charm...  I want to do something REALLY special with this and have it where I can always see it.  This piece just touches my heart. 





And it couldn't come at a better time as goldwork is also at the top of my list.... Susie was always on the lookout for suitable trims for the goldwork round robin and with her help I the bunch pictured to add to my stash...  Tonight I divided it  into packets to send to the round robin participants.

And I know your next question is "Did Morris manage to stay out of trouble?"  Well, in a word, no! I had left specific instructions with DH that if he left to play bridge NOT to leave Morris loose in the house.... put him and his toys in the laundry room.... and of course DH went off to play bridge and gave Morris the run of the house... and of course when Morris is lonely and bored he gets into trouble... 

He managed to work the bottom drawer of my stash cabinet open and pull out a gallon bag of rhinestones.  He then proceeded to pull it across the living room to his bed but in the process left  a trail of rhinestones the whole way.  DH had most of it picked up when I got home...but I did get some pictures....

The trail ....sorry about the focus...

11 comments:

Beth French said...

That's some cat!

Gail said...

OMG !!!!!

Cathy said...

What a beautiful piece of goldwork and a beautiful friend to gift it to you.

Marilyn said...

The goldwork is stunning. Cathy is a very good friend to give it to you. It would be one I'd have on the wall near my chair so I could just stare at it. Awww Morris, I know you try so hard to be good but a guy just has to amuse himself. When we had our 2 rotts, we could leave them alone for 4 hours. 4 hours and 1 minute and they found a way to amuse themselves. One day they learned to read the instruction manual for the satellite dish...page by page by page....

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I can see why you love that piece so much..and I am NOT surprised that Cathy gave it to you. AND I see why you love Morris so much. He's pretty smart too, isn't he.

Mánya said...

That's one fabulous treasure you have there!
And Crafty Morris maybe was just trying to create a nice gift for when you go home :)

Wendy said...

The gold work patch is beautiful! Cathy is such a sweet and lovely friend to have. Looks like Morris needs to go to the naughty rug!

Susan Elliott said...

Welcome home!!

And your goldwork bird find is indeed a true treasure. It's absolutely glorious! And Morris, well...he's a continuous source of inspiration for your quilt...evidently he is wanting a rhinestone trail across a block somewhere....

Susan Elliott said...

P.S  Susie's CQ messenger bag is AWESOME too!!! I think you have your boho bag on but I can't see it....I'll go to the next post and see if it shows up...

gocrazywithme said...

I think Morris wants some rhinestones on his quilt. Are you sure he's not a corgi/crow hybrid?

Pamela Kellogg said...

Hi Gerry,

I have several of these pieces that I purchased on Ebay years ago. I had intended on using them in a wall quilt. Where did the time go? Oh, if only we didn't have to sleep! LOL!!!

Look for a little something in the mail from me any day now!
Hugs, Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts