1/05/2012

All that Glitters..............

Goldwork tends to be overlooked for two reasons I think...  First the materials can be expensive and second goldwork is associated mainly with religious garments and accessories. Even in the realm of needlework it is most often just coupled with stumpwork....  It is my theory that it's a perfect marriage for crazy quilting plus it doesn't even have to be real gold!!!

 It is most often shown on white or red but as you can see on the left, it is equally beautiful on green, dark blue, and lavender...even the patterned background. It can be only gold but is even more spectacular mixed with other colors.




Consider the themes possible for goldwork...  It lends itself to anything floral and also the world of insects especially  bees, dragonflies, butterflies and beetles... and you can add lizards, toads and even dragons.  How appropriate is that since this is the year of the Dragon... One of my personal favorites are goldwork roosters....


I have several books on goldwork but my favorite by far is Goldwork Embroidery by Mary Brown.   On the Internet one of the best resources is Mary Corbett's site... She has a large archive of goldwork articles including videos and tutorials. On January 9 she is actually having a giveaway for two goldwork kits.  I registered and have my fingers crossed....

There are enough signed up for two "Fool's Gold"  round robins starting on February 1st and there will be a total of 72 blocks involved. I'm sending out parcels to all involved with samples from my stash and I'm so excited to see what everyone comes up with.  If there are enough we may even be able to get a third group going.  If you are interested and a member of CQI, let me know.

Now I'm leaving on a very special needlework adventure until the 13th.... I'll finish my packing today and be on the plane tomorrow with my needlework and camera...  Back then with pictures....

4 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Lovely examples of Goldwork. I always have trouble stitching with metallic threads. They always bunch up or break. Any suggestions?
Deb

Wendy said...

Have a fun and safe trip Gerry!

Marilyn said...

I love the look of goldwork but I've never tried it. Its on my "to be learned" list but I have too much on the go right now to even try. I'm looking forward to seeing your RR pix. Enjoy your special mystery stitching retreat :)

Connie said...

Goldwork is also on my list of to learn skills. I'm with you -- a great addition to a CQ.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts