1/03/2012

Flexible as always...

In fact I'm so flexible I'm always in a state of flux... and as usual making changes to my "firm" decisions.  I have been working my way through the frames on the suffrage blocks and down to the last block which I've passed over several times... I knew I wanted a poster on this block but hadn't made the final decision.  So many of the posters from that era had goddess-like women in classical poses blowing horns and waving banners... Finally chose one. They all remind me of Hermione  Gingold in "Music Man"..







But in trying to leave room for the poster I had one photo too small and by the time I put trim around it, it was even smaller.. so I just have to remove and replace it...  I call this block "Pride"  Nobody wants to mess with these women...  Don't you just love them for standing so tall...

This is the paper version sized to what I think will work... Now I need to change it to sepia and print it on the poplin. Pat Winter talked today about the photo site "Picnik" and she was using it to change photos to sepia...  It's similar to Picasa and very user friendly...  Try it.




Since this project was in the planning stages for years I had accumulated a lot of stash for it...  I'm always amazed at what I thought would be "perfect" which isn't and at happy unplanned surprises that are joyous.

I had a lot of copper/rust sequins, beads and ribbons which are NOT working at all... The brass spacers may work in the end but so far I've used them in two places and removed them... 

On the right is the joyous part... Susan Elliott sent me this vintage bead trim she bought in the NY garment district.  It is actually dark brown even though it looks black and the glass beads are irregular and appear faceted. ... The trim was so old the wrapper holding it just crumbled and the thread the beads were strung on disintegrated when you touched it... I thought I could maybe salvage sections but it was beyond hope... But I love the color and the tiny beads. ...and I mean tiny... smaller than 15s...  So by just gently rubbing my fingers along it, the beads all separated from threads.  I will be using them on every block and they are just the perfect subtle touch.... The beads are exquisite and it seems so fitting that this vintage trim should be repurposed for this particular quilt.   Thank you Susan!!!!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I don't think I've ever made a project exactly like my original vision of what it would be. But I've learned to listen when my fabric argues with me. For instance, I'm just working on a purse to use up some scraps and I did a shadow applique design on the flap using ultra suede, and dupioni in teal and burnt orange. Looked nice together in the fabric but now that its done I don't like it so I'm sure I'll end up taking out the teal and maybe putting in dark brown. I wish it had protested before I got it all done!

Linda said...

Gerry, yesterday the most recent issue of the MN Historical Society magazine arrived. On the cover was a picture from the featured article about the MN Scandinavian Women suffrage Association and its participation in national suffrage activities. The article is very interesting and if you would like to read it, contact me and I will get it to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts