6/29/2010

Header tutorial --- last post in tutorial

Yesterday I mentioned Photoshop 7.. If you can find someone with a even an earlier version that they would give you, it would be even better. Each new version gets more complex... The program I use is at least 20 years old and quite simple...

Several have asked how I do my headers and it just so happens I recently decided (again) that I might update my website so I was working on one and also I just did a header for my son's blog... I will show steps for both..THIS IS REALLY JUST CUT AND PASTE. I did it on the computer but it can be done just as easily on paper and scanned onto a cd... Check out the scrapbook dept of hobby stores... They have endless fun things that you can either use for "cut and paste" or scan into your computer...

Occasionally I use the palette tools to sketch a plan for a block but two of the tools I use all the time... One is an eraser which make any area you erase transparent.... The other tool is actually called a "Smear" and looked like a finger... But it blends and blurs colors together. Great for touching up and blending where you butt things together...

Click to read text: The last step was just to tuck things here and there... Snip and tuck!!

Click to read text:

















So you can use your own photos to make your header without any clipart at all. Snip and tuck!! You can see this header full size at http://deepcreekfishingclub.blogspot.com/
If you actually do this "cut and paste" I would recommend taking it to good copy shop and get it copied on photo quality paper and also put on a CD. In the days before computers we did everything that way... So there you are....end of tutorial.... Please let me know if you found it informative?

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I have Photoshop Elements 8, and it is so complicated; steep learning curve. I control opacity not by erasing, but by creating a transparent layer and cutting an image digitally (which I find difficult) and pasting. The effects tools (blur, sepia, fade or boost color) are so complicated, I try to do those first in my iMac’s iPhoto program, which is very simple. I’m still having troubles with layers combining when I don’t want them to and then not being able to unlock them. I understand the basics of what you’ve taught, I just can’t get the d*** program to cooperate! So, all my graphic art will start out “rough” and improve as I learn more! It’s the best I can do, LOL!! Thanks for these GREAT posts - they HAVE helped me alot. Hugs, Cathy

Gerry Krueger said...

I don't cut digitally because it seems to me to leave a hard abrupt edge. My erase tool as options as to the harness of the edge.. And I am pretty fast because I have used it so long... PS8 does have a "spot healing brush" you might want to try instead of some of those others.
Gerry

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

After reading your post yesterday, I decided it was time to invest in Photoshop. There are so many PS7 going for next to nothing. I bought one for 23.99. I see more computer time in my future.

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I will probably be back to refer to it several times.
Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts