6/30/2009

Plan pinned up

To me this was a very happy block. I have things just pinned or basted and will explain my plan and choices as far as I've gone this morning.... As I mentioned in the previous post, this is a was a very linear block with some very long vertical lines.. My goal was to introduce more horizontal elements and move the eye around the block... Here are the first steps..

First I found a very happy silkie.. She looks like she's about to burst into song... I can embellish the silkie with fargo roses to repeat the SRE already done.. I'm thinking to use this bluebird button because it repeats the blue in her dress and fits the mood. I picked polka dot ribbon because it also fits the mood and will give a strong horizontal element. For the same reason I added the black horizontal pieces of ribbon. They serve two purposes...they bring the sides strips into the composition....and likewise extend the black into the block.....


The black lace below the silkie was chosen because it has the arrow-like tops that bring the eye back into the center of the block... I broke up the long side seams and only used half to repeat the polka dot element with beads and sequins... Then I've pinned a piece of pink crushed velvet ribbon on the diagonal to repeat the diagonal line in upper left. It is very optional at the moment...It would provide a place for two embellished seams plus breaks up the large space below for two
motifs....
Next just a couple design tips... I was avoiding vertical elements so on the right side of the silkie I chose to finish it with something that disappears into the background.....a strip of black ribbon and a row of sequins for glitz... That left the strong contrast of the black and pink where the little arrow is pointing... I laid the lace roses there and that vertical line disappears like magic... This is a nifty trick that is very useful... These roses repeat the trio of flowers on upper right... On the left side of the silkie I will incorporate some vines and fargo roses to extend what's there into the silkie and soften that vertical line...
I hope you've notice how often I have used the word "REPEAT" . Repeating colors and elements is so critical to the success of a block that I just can't stress it enough!! Of course that is just my opinion and if you're not a fan of encrusted you will not like what I'm doing at all. Having made that qualifying statement I will proceed to sew everything down and then address the upper right corner..... Now that I read back over this I probably should have broken it up into several posts as it is rather long. Sorry!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Gerry, I like how you explained what you planned for the block and why. I need to do more of that myself! I had this shiny block first and it was the biggest challenge I've had in CQ so far. I really like how it has turned out so far.

Faye said...

Oh Gerry, now I know I was right to leave the centre patch to your expertise, and imagination... Wow!!! what a lovely way you have managed to change the block completely...
cheers - FDS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts