DH left for Israel early Thanksgiving morning and I headed out to spend the morning in the barn. It was one of those rare winter days when the sun is shining and no wind. The sun heats up this big room in a jiffy and I went through a lot of bins pulling fabric and trims for the spider bag.
He was hardly down the road and I set up two tables in the living room. One with all the small projects I want to work on while he is gone and this includes Madi's guest book, the giant green capris, the eyeglass cases, and a green necklace. Another table has all the spider bag materials. No cooking.... just going from project to project as the spirit moves me and eating turkey and dressing for breakfast on a paper plate.
Today I was going to actually start on the bag and I did. I spent the ENTIRE morning cutting out all the pieces for the bag plus the lining, fleece lining, and the interfacings. But try as I might I couldn't figure out a stress-free way to partially assemble it and embellish it.
Since this was to be a "no stress" winter project I finally gave up. I put all the pieces in a bag and will finish it later for another project. I don't even want to look at it now.....for months.
So defeated but flexible, I decided to just do a ordinary tote-like pattern for the spider bag and luckily I had enough crushed velvet to do it. I want to get all the vines on the bag before webs and flowers so step one was to sketch out the vine patterns on freezer paper. This was all free hand and really loose.
Then I roughly repeated these vines to the back of the velvet (with fusible tricot). If it were critical I could have transferred it with some transfer paper but since it was so rough and loose I just did it freehand. Then I did a running stitch on the lines.
When I turned it over I had my vine pattern on the black velvet without any markings on the velvet. Over the years I have worked many project designs from the back like this. Especially if it is white, textured or dark material. The spots you see are light reflections on the velvet. It is going to be impossible to photograph. I will work the vines in silk ribbon. Then I will add the webs and will add the flowers and leaves the last thing before I assemble the bag.
Again my friend Shirlee surprised me with a special package in the mail.. It was all this silk ribbon that she said she would never use... What a treasure. I have it all sorted by color and size and can hardly wait to use it. This whole project is like a sweet treat and I will stretch it out and savor every step.
Another project that just slipped in my agenda unbidden yesterday is this necklace. I never wore it because I never had earrings and decided to make some and one thing led to another and it got a complete makeover. I may still never wear it but if I do I now have earrings.
The winner of the bag pattern is Cyra in New Zealand... Send me you address Cyra to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will pop it in the mail...