5/27/2016

Another "Gerry Day" and a support for Bill....

One of my blog readers emailed me that she had had a "Gerry Day"  My immediate thought was "Oh you poor dear!"  And sure enough she had a bad fall and did serious injury to several body parts.  I also had  another "Gerry Day" today.  I was trying to wire these wheels together and went running into the house to get my pliers.  I managed to fall UP the porch stairs, cracked my knee cap on the edge of a step and rammed my elbow into the porch rail... I am limping and sore tonight... DH says just about anybody can fall down the stairs, but it takes a special skill to fall up the stairs...aren't I the lucky one to have that skill.

I was trying to wire these three wheels together to make a support for my new clematis "Bill Mackenzie" so it could ramble over and through these wheels and hide that ugly stump.  I used to put a large brass container of flowers on the stump but always forgot to water them.  This will be much better.

The largest wheel in front is 5' and is way too heavy to lift.  In fact I could hardly keep it upright to roll it along.  My original plan was to put a post on either side to support it.  I quickly learned that digging post holes by that old stump was not going to happen.  So I dragged two smaller wheels (about 40lbs a piece) from the barn and plan B was to wire them in a triangle and I think that is going to work. And dear "Bill" is planted and ready to ramble.

Years ago in the back of the garden I put an even larger wheel between two posts and planted a pink macropetala clematis at the base of each post and they eventually covered the structure which was about 8' tall. It was stunning in bloom and  I loved it.









Today's new wheel support is a much smaller endeavor but should be great when in bloom and it is just feet from the front porch where I will get to enjoy it...

"Bill" has huge nodding bright-yellow flowers, with darker red centers. The flowers appear during  summer and are followed by attractive wispy seed heads into fall.  It is an aggressive grower and I might let it ramble over and up the clothesline pole.

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh dear, I hope your owies feel better soon. And I hope you take a picture of Bill when he is in bloom so we can see him.

Shawkl said...

Oh my! Yes, a talented lady for sure...but this is a talent you may can do without. :)

margaret said...

oh dear sounds like a nasty trip, I too seem to fall going upstairs rather than down hope you are recovering quickly.
What a good idea with the wheels and the clematis has a lovely circle to roam around.Not many people will have such large or even small wheels lying around their garden.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh, My husband said the same exact thing to me when I took that fall!! Proof to me that they all read the same books! I have never had any luck growing clematis. The wheel idea is genius. Hope Bill takes off.
xx, Carol

Marlynne said...

So sorry about your fall! Hopefully it heals fast without any complications! I love your idea for the wheels! Will be so pretty!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's just as easy to fall up as it is down and it hurts no matter which way you do it. Ouch! On the bright side though - your trellis looks great.

Margaret said...

Maybe falling up stairs is a gender thing...I too have the talent, but am out of practice and hope to stay that way! May your bumps and bruises heal quickly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts