12/05/2011

The Singing Mum

Years ago and again recently I read that there were 5 things to do each day to make you happier, healthier, and live longer...
1.  Pet an animal
2. Take a walk
3. Hug someone
4. Laugh out loud
5. Sing..........
Well the first four are never a problem and I do try to do them every day and know I feel better for it...  But the singing part was hopeless..  I cannot carry a tune, remember lyrics nor even own more than 4 or 5 CDs... The nicest thing about teaching 5 and 6-year-olds  years ago was they loved it when I sang...

But son was here over Thanksgiving and introduced me to Pandora Radio, a personalized internet radio site... (it's free).. DH is strictly Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach and maybe a little big band...  but on Pandora I get to make my own stations by entering the music I like.... traditional gospel, old-time bluegrass, folk music from the 60s, ragtime piano, Irish music and a little big band... It takes what you pick and adds similar artists and I'm just loving it...

But the real joy of the thing is that on most selections they show the lyrics...... So if I am anywhere near the computer and hear a favorite..... I can  sing ....albeit really badly but what I lack in virtuosity, I make up for  by singing with great gusto.....  a real singing mum....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love it! What a great list, and the Pandora thing is a must. I can just picture you singing,...and dancing around Morris, birds singing outside, squirrels watching from the trees....beautiful fall days...Love it! Wish I was there to join in. ( I can't sing either! ) Suzie in Idaho

sharonb said...

Gerry I cant hold a tune either and have lived with two very musical people. My husband plays violin and Eve my daughter who is no longer home plays mandolin. But I found I could sing when we ride the motor bike as no one can hear you sing on the back of bike! I ride pillion and just sing my heart out.

karen said...

Thanks for letting another tone deaf singer and one who forgets the words a really lovely radio station.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love it when they show the lyrics and I find out I have been singing the wrong words for years!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Well done! I've got a voice like a squeaky door, so I try not to inflict it on others. Yet I used to sing in choirs. Ah well, another one of the joys of old age lol. By the way, sorry this is 'anonymous', but for some reason that's the only way Google will let me comment at the moment. Blessings from Lesley UK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts