12/21/2011

Black and White and Rainbows

Yesterday DH was gone all day and evening with volunteer work which was a perfect day for me to make a huge mess.... so I did and got my blocks done for the CQJP2012.  

I owe huge hugs to Cathy LaBath.  She has been working on a B&W quilt project  which had strips...  She send me a box of her scraps... They were various lengths but only 2 1/2" wide so I ended up with lots of small patches perfect for TAST seams. There were over 3 dozen different prints....even puppy paw prints.   My blocks would have been very boring indeed without her generosity... 

I not only have a rainbow ribbon, I have ribbons in all the rainbow colors and lots and lots of hearts left from other projects...and a good selection  of black and white trims as well.  I'm using all cottons which is a first for me and a theme I adore. So I am ready... My rather vague plan at the moment is to somehow to make it into a book with pockets for Morris stories to be tucked into.....somehow

10 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

This will be interesting to see what you do with all these prints! I love the idea of the pockets to save "The Adventures of Morris" in.
Deb

Suztats said...

What a wonderful 'canvas' just waiting for color! I think a book of Morris stories is a great idea.

Wendy said...

Love your blocks Gerry! This will be fun to work on....

Cathy said...

About those stories...maybe write them out and print to fabric and use as backing? (I'm thinking I read this is a lap quilt for the nursing home days? Or is it a wallhanging? Can't remember)Or use micron pen and write directly on fabric and use as backing or even incorporate into the front? Oh, now as I reread your post and my comment I see you are making a book.

I love that you used the paw prints. I thought of a trail of Morris paws between blocks so included all I had left.

Now you know how I make my cotton blocks - I usually cut 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch strips and go from there. If I don't use the entire strip I cut it into squares to be used in postage stamp, nine patch or other sane quilts.

Cathy L

Cathy said...

P.S. - Hey, no matter which way you turn those blocks...are they all the same pattern of pieces? I think I see a pattern of big checked piece then middle of gingham! (I have this strange habit of staring at fabrics in quilts for long periods as does my grandson!)

Angela said...

The black and white backgrounds are brilliant! I can't wait to see how they evolve.

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful idea to include Morris stories somehow in your book. And I like Cathy's idea of printing them on the backing. But you have so many Morris stories you might have to make extra pages just of stories :). I am looking forward to seeing the embellished blocks.

FredaB said...

Gerry if you are not blind after working on this black and white with the check pieces. I look at it and the page moves. I cannot take it.

I'll stick to Morris - see above.

Hugs

fredaB

Susan Elliott said...

I know you were trying to fool us by moving the orientation of those blocks...but they ARE all the same pattern, aren't they?

Looks like a fun quilt to me and the Morris stories tucked into the quilt is a great idea...no matter how you choose to do it.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Morris's quilt is lovely Gerry - great piecing! I have to say I would never have looked at it and thought the blocks were all pieced the same! I really had to look to confirm that had really done that.
This is going to be wonderful - I can't wait to see it progress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts