5/03/2011

Ode to Hats and You Get to Vote!!!

I have hats on this wall, that wall and every wall.















Hats in baskets, hats on racks and hats in stacks,
Summer hats, winter hats, straw hats, and vintage hats.



















There a crown or two on one bed post for days



I need to reign supreme



And a witches hat on the other post for days



when I'm really feeling mean.



There are hats for work, hats for rain, even holiday hats,



and fun dressing-up hats.



I wear so many hats people often say,



"I didn't recognize you without your hat today!"



And why, my dear, so many hats you say???



Because for me every day is a bad-hair day!!!




One of the first places I check in thrift stores is the hats... I am convinced women try one on in a store, buy on impulse and never put it on again..... We been invited by some friends to their "Third Occasional Kentucky Derby" party.... Everyone brings an appetizer and the party starts with Mint Juleps and information about all horses in the race... Everyone gets to put $2 on the horse of their choice. Of course all the appropriate noises are made during the race.... and the winners split the dollars and it's followed by a BBQ ... AND of course the ladies are to wear hats... but what hat to wear as the weather is pretty iffy...





If it's an absolutely warm glorious day the pink with a pink polka dot ribbon and roses would be great...





but I also love the red and white straw since red is my favorite color to wear.....





If it is cloudy and dark I have two other choices....the navy with the veil is an old vintage hat from the 40s. It was easier to wear when I had long hair but smashing with a white dress and navy jacket...




Last is one of my favorite Liz Claiborne straws... a yummy chocolate brown that goes well with my brown linen dress. So cast your vote.....



I pick my horse by it's clever name (and wines by their pretty labels.) My horse usually comes in last but the hat part is really fun....


Sorry about spacing in this post...computer is really weird and needs serious help.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we fet to vote?? I like the vintage blue hat with the pink flowers. Jane

Cathy said...

What a fun post! I loved your hats and have been looking for my two hats (and the hatbox) since before we left for CT but haven’t found it yet. We should do a private CQ hat block trade or RR.... what a fun theme that would be! Hugs, Cathy

Momma Bear said...

so many hats! they are all wonderful hats but the navy hat with the vale and big pink roses is a derby hat indeed!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The vintage navy, of course!!

I share your love of hats and wear one frequently. BUT, I bow to you for you own far more than I. (But I did see a couple I own on your wall!) Carol

Pearl said...

Love all those fun hats! What a great thing to collect. Great post!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am a KY girl and the Mint Julep is the most important part of the day! After a few of those you are lucky if you still have a hat on your head. Of course here the first Saturday in May is a big deal! I am glad others enjoy it as well. Usually the bigger the hat the better it is!
Deb

Suztats said...

Oh I like the pink hat with polka dots and ribbon!

Anonymous said...

The vintage blue with pink flowers for the party. Sandi, IvoryAnn

Cathy said...

Your post sounds like a Dr. Suess book... one hat, two hats, vintage hat, blue hats.

I'm not a hat person even in winter but if I were to wear one it would be that pink one with the big rose on it.

My dau. collects vintage hats. My blog pic used to be one of me and my gd trying on a couple of them which was a fun day.

gocrazywithme said...

I'm voting for the pink hat, and excellent weather to wear it in!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry ..... the blue hat is definitely a "derby hat" but I also like the brown one. Hope you get to watch the horses parade around before you bet. I always pick that way as one of them looks 'ready to go'!
SusieW

Marty52 said...

LOVE the hats, Gerry! I can never find any cuz my noggin is so big but I do like them! I vote for the second pink one if it's sunny and the navy one if it's not!

Susan Elliott said...

I really like the Liz one but I'm afraid it's a bit too everyday for the party. Isn't there a horse named Pants on Fire? I like that one....oh, but you didn't ask me to pick a horse..

Well, my all time vote goes for the blue one with the veil and the pink flowers. It has character.

Laura said...

Definitely the Liz C. hat. So charming but looks fun to wear!

Kathy F said...

I like the brown Liz C - it looks just right for a garden party where it will probably rain!

Anonymous said...

Love the party idea and the vintage navy hat! Have a great time!
~Jan Myhre Spokane

ellen said...

so many lovely hats that it is hard to choose but I think I'll pick the pink one but the blue with the veil is also yummy. I love the way you have them displayed in your home. You are such an original character and many talented person I would love to meet you, someday maybe at the next Cq get together in Co.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts