5/15/2010

More Ninilchik, Alaska

Since it's my last day I took my camera with me on our run to the post office... Today was a "clam tide" (-2) and hundreds of people with buckets and shovels are on the beach
as far as you can see in either direction.
Probably the most photographed church in Alaska... Ninilchick was settled by a Russian missionary and his small flock in 1846. Many descendants of these original settlers still live here and services are still held in the Russian Orthodox Church..
And of course I had to take the obligatory moose photo as they are every where. They are not the least people shy and slowly graze so getting pictures is a snap literally. We saw 9 yesterday on our way to pick up octopus for halibut bait....
Of course my son did not start with a big beautiful lodge... He first had this pseudo lighthouse and 3 small cabins... That's a sand hill crane on the roof...
You can see in this shot from the next bluff over that his property sits high above the beach.. This lighthouse and the small cabins are now used for staff...


And one of the people who always brings great joy to my life is my gorgeous daughter-in-law Vivian... My son is so lucky to have her as his life partner.... besides she "talks pretty". She was born and raised in South Africa and has a delightful accent... She's my favorite scrabble partner and I rarely beat her any more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts