8/06/2020

When is a greenhouse not a greenhouse???


Remember a couple days ago when I said I wanted to build a bench with sides....somewhere I could sit on sunny cold days and capture the sun but be protected from the wind.  Well this is what I meant.  Not necessarily the fancy top but definitely the sides.. pretty cool huh?  So my brain kicked into gear.








Here is another picture of an arbor using old doors.  Just put a seat in here and it would be perfect. ...if I had two old matching doors.  One of my problems is getting lumber of any size.  Before I could scrounge around the barn and find whatever I needed and since we also sold the truck   anything now has to be delivered at a price..

Notice at the base how they used metal shelf supports to stabilize it...brilliant.  Definitely stealing that idea.












\

But good old Wayfair delivers free, has great prices and has a great selection of arbors.  I decided on this one and it was cheap and will be here next week...

 The management where we live would not allow a greenhouse.  All I need is for someone to tell me I can't do something and then I must find a way to do it.  So a greenhouse is not a greenhouse when it is an arbor.  The longer I thought about it the more I realized that by adding some  windows or greenhouse panels that it could double as a mini greenhouse of sorts as well as my winter bench..

The wooden arbor was actually my second choice.  My first choice was this vinyl one which would weather better.  It was 50% off and only $100 and    it was larger but there was a caveat....you had to wait 20-30 weeks  (not days...weeks!)for delivery. That is months and months away...mid winter at the latest. I want a bench in place by the end of September so I can  sit there and figure out how I can use it as a cold frame as well in the spring.


4 comments:

Margaret said...

Now that's a cool idea! Hmmm...

JustGail said...

I wrapped an indoor plant stand/rack with plastic for a mini greenhouse one year, worked great until it blew over :-( Bummer on greenhouses not allowed. Does that include all sheds? Just thinking if not.... who's to say a shed with lots of windows can't be a greenhouse? I'd rather look at a greenhouse than some of those cheap rusted tin storage sheds (of which we have 2)!!

Lisa Boni said...

Love that first bench! I've collected a few photos of similar benches! Love how you are planning to get your greenhouse despite management! I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen window with a greenhouse window for much the same reason!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the one made with the old doors! Of course I would, considering the fact that I love old buildings so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts