9/29/2010

Moving Perennials and Mystery Plant....


Reminder: The plant criteria for my garden is care-free, disease-free, drought tolerant , hardy (zone 4) and deer resistant.....

As most of the garden is overgrown and wild I occasionally see something blooming that I want to bring up to the house... One such plant was Salvia nemerosa Plumosa. It would probably been easier to buy a new one rather than hack my way to it... but hack I did... Being a salvia it is drought tolerant and critter-proof...


I had pledged only to move 5-a-day and almost made it.... I have a passion for plants taller than I am and so moved Helianthus maximiliani . Perennial sunflower 4 to 10 feet tall. (zones 4-9) Native plant . Well behaved in a drought garden but naughty if too much moisture.. Somewhat deer and rabbit proof for landscaping . Edible ...tubers similar to Jerusalem artichokes


Maltese Cross --- bold mid-summer color I remember seeing a white variety midsummer so will search for it tomorrow when I move veronicas.


Joe Pye Weed - Eupatoriaum.... another tall drought-tolerant beauty... used for medicinal purposes by Native Americans...



Gilenia -trifoliata- one of my top 10 favorite.. I was lucky to find a seeding today as once established it hates being disturbed. Looks like hundreds of tiny white butterflies on burgundy stems when in bloom....now in the fall has lovely colored foliage...


MYSTERY PLANT!!!! If anything prods me to get my hundreds of perennial slides transferred to CDs, it will be this plant... In the beginning I was diligent about marking everything but I became lax as the garden became so huge and I was so stressed... Usually though if I think on a plant long enough the name will usually come...granted it sometimes takes a few days... But not this plant and it is driving me crazy.... been googling and going through perennial books with no success.

CLUES: 1. very tall - 5-6 feet - extremely delicate looking

2. Pale yellow plume-like blooms similar to astilbe

3. Delicate soft-green, lobed leaves - small and similar to columbine leaves - no large basal growth of leaves

4. Obviously drought tolerant in my garden and I had to hack through species roses to get a start...


I do remember it was a very dissimilar plant in its generic family....

If this description rings a bell email me...and when I get a photo next summer I will post it...

3 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Kentucky's State Flower -Goldenrod.
Debbie

Cathy said...

When I saw your leaves I definitely thought Aquilegia but then I read down further and saw you said it was not columbine. When you described the plume and height I then thought Goat's Beard but the leaves then don't match. The leaves also look a little like Lovage but the flowers on mine aren't what I would describe as plume like and you would definitely know Lovage by the celery smell. Yeah, definitely not Goldenrod, well, at least nothing like the Goldenrod that grows in Iowa! Now you've got me very curious. - Cathy L

Susan Elliott said...

Well, there are two mysteries solved here today, I can't thank you enough.

A few weeks ago, I was on a bike ride in the park and I noticed a six-foot tall globe topped plant along the side of the stream and it was completely covered in butterflies. I didn't have a camera so the next day I came back with my quick point and shoot. When I got there I met a man who was standing very patiently with his camera to his face.....waiting for the perfect picture.

He lost his job. He walks two miles every morning to the park to take pictures of nature. He's on flickr. And here's a picture of the plant...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcnod/4910531863/

I tried to find the plant when I got home but couldn't find it...

And here it is on your blog!! Joe Pye Weed! I'd love to know what medicinal properties it was known to have. It sure made me happy so maybe it's an anti-depressant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts