3/20/2014

His and Hers

It is all sandwiched and pinned and ready to start quilting... I was trying to figure how I was going to rig up a temporary frame and a dear friend stopped by and said she had a free-standing quilt frame that had been given to her and I could have it...  She is bringing it tomorrow.... and she brought me a white chocolate mocha besides... Friends like that are to treasure...







Yesterday I spent basting the "batting" to the back of the quilt with long running stitches... row after row.. Allie says this supports and distributes the weight of all the embellishments.  Important since quilting is limited...

So while waiting for the frame I'm making the sleeve for hanging and working on my 75-word statement for the label.





Since I have taken over our only table my husband has to eat and work here..







New birds are cause for celebration at our house.  We've always had mourning doves but last summer these Eurasian collared doves started showing up and I'm happy to see them back again this spring.  They are much larger than the mourning doves and besides the collar they have lovely dark gray feathers skirting their wings...


4 comments:

Marilyn said...

You have a good friend indeed. Your quilt is going to be so gorgeous. Which quilt show are you entering? I don't know if we have any doves around here. Since my bird id's are very limited we might possibly but this fellow is so pretty. DH and I were sitting out on the deck the day before yesterday and before we got more snow today with our coffee. There was a Stellar jay singing to his lady and some other small birds but I don't know what they were and probably wouldn't have even if they had been closer to I could see them better (grin). I hope you enjoyed the coffee.

Lisa Boni said...

So great to see your fabulous quilt getting near completion!

We have the Collared Doves too. I love them. Especially their fan tails that you can see when they are landing on the bird feeders! They do have a rather raucous call though ~ not nearly so sweet sounding as the morning doves.

Lisa Boni said...

I wanted to give you another quilting frame idea too. 4 pieces of 1x2 about 1 foot longer than the quilt. tack a folded piece of twill to each piece so it hangs over the side about 2 inches. Pin your quilt backing to the twill on two opposite sides. Then clamp the other two lengths to the first two with the old fashioned screw type clamps. You can use shorter pieces on the sides if you roll the quilt onto one long piece and re-roll as you work across. That's what I used for years and it's quite storable when not using it. Don't think I have a photo unfortunately. I wanted to mention it as it might work better for a heavily embellished quilt than a hoop type quilt frame.

Maureen said...

Absolutely beautiful quilt Gerry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts