4/02/2012

Probably my find for the year!!!

Indeed probably my find for the entire year and how timely and appropriate.  One of our local thrift stores has an "ethnic" rack which I always check because it occasionally has saris and various silk garments.  This was my find the other day.  With my coupon it was only $6.

It was two pieces.... a tunic and a pair of baggy pantaloons... It is all silk and all lined with silk.  The garment itself is completely hand stitched and the gold work sections look as they must have been  purchased  as panels. There are tucks at the bust line so I'm assuming it is for a women.


I have no idea from whence it came...  Can anyone help me with this?? I wish the photos could do it justice as the goldwork is breathtaking.  Except for the largest motifs at the bottom all the rest is very usable and I want to use some of the leaves in this RRs... Heck it it weren't so small I'd probably wear it!!!!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! That is unbelievable!!! I don't know if you are just lucky or have an incredible "eye" (I'm suspecting the later). This is not only the find of the year, but a find you will enjoy all year (and more). Woooo Hooo!!
SusieW
PS - Too bad it is too small, I can just see you walking into a bridge game with this on!

Arlene White said...

OMG, I don't know if I would have the courage to cut it up........

Arlene

Lisa Boni said...

Gerry ~ I believe this to also be Indian, from the more northern provinces in India. I've known many lovely Indian women over the years and several of them work outfits similar to this, though not usually so elaborately decorated!

Cathy said...

OMG, you have the best thrifting Karma I have ever known. This is drop dead gorgeous!! You lucky duck!! I know that you will make great use of it, even if you don`t wear it, LOL. Hugs, Cat

Suztats said...

Wow! It's gorgeous! What a wonderful find!

Wendy said...

Hi Gerry, this looks Indian to me. My moms DR. is from India and his wife and daughters wear outfits made like this in the office. This is a really great find!

Lorraine said...

WHAT a find!

Marilyn said...

Wow, spectacular find. Don't you just love thrift shops! Just think how many blocks you can decorate with one outfit.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a find! I know you will make something even more beautiful from it. 😊

Susan Elliott said...

I think it will fit me ;)

Of course, it IS the find of a lifetime! And I'm green as that witch from the west...lucky lucky duck indeed!!

Marion said...

Hi Gerry,

looks great. I think it´s a Salwar Kameez. It´s a clothing from pakistan, normally three parts, tunica, trousers and shawl. There is a shop with indian clothings here around the corner and they have similar, with gold embroidery too.

Greetings

Marion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts