11/14/2011

Taming the Templates.....Attention Miss Carole

(Note: Okay everyone it's your lucky day.....  I just heard from Carole Samples and she said if you will email her direct she will send you the information on ordering the templates from her..... fancwerx@inebraska.com
 They are available nowhere else and she has the machine that makes them...)

I've always kept my Carole Samples templates on a big ring as suggested but it was difficult finding a number and awkward to put them on and off the ring in order.. When I got to her class I looked around to see what others were using but it was rings everywhere I looked ..Plus the black marker numbers were hard to read on the purple templates.. So I knew I had to have a system that was user friendly to ME!!

So I set about to work out a color-coded system with rainbow colors...  I divided the templates into subgroups with 5 to a group.... 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc.  First I tried colored pearl cotton on each template and it probably would work but I wasn't satisfied...




I decided that I wanted to use colored tape but didn't want to buy seven rolls for just a few inches of tape so I did the colored rectangles on my computer and printed them on a sheet of good quality labels.. I divided each rectangle into 5 approx. pieces 1/2" x 2"   and put the numbers in order by color.. starting at one end of the rainbow ....red

The hole  for a metal ring was covered by the tape but I could punch it through... But I don't see ever putting these on a ring again.. They are so easy to sort and read this way.... Eventually I will make them a travel roll but I will use them at home 99% of the time... What I need now is an color-coded organizer for the drawer and that is next on the list..


Even gathered in a bunch you can see how easy they will be to sort... Sorry it's out of focus... trying to hold camera with one hand while photographing the other is a bit shaky.... Near the middle you will notice a blue label with a tiny white strip on it also...  I am starting to add that extra strip  to my favorites (about 12 so far) to make them even easier to find...

Now that part of the problem was solved I needed a way to see all the configurations at once to make design decisions... So I put all the templates on the scanner with their new lovely colors...







I divided them into groups, scanned them,  and reduced them so each color group would fit on a 4x6  index card... These cards will be laminated and put on a metal ring... I did reduce them further and got them ALL on one 4x6 card but they may be too reduced to be usable....but worth a try..

This is a work in progress and will need some fine tuning but I am loving it so far...  I should be able to study the cards and snap out the right template in seconds.....

I'm hoping Miss Carole is reading this post and I know she'll notice that I'm missing template #23 and I want her to know that Morris is not responsible...  I'm hoping it will show up when I actually get my work area sorted and cleaned...

In case you haven't kept a count this is post #997  on this blog and I will have something special on POST #1000....

8 comments:

Connie said...

All very good tips. Thanks Gerry!

Anonymous said...

Do you know if the templates are still available from her, or elsewhere? Google has been NO help with this. I can't even find a way to contact her.

Thanks :)
Taarna

taarnaravelry@live.com

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I was wondering about the templates too. I have searched several times to no avail.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank you for showing this organizing system. The templates would be wonderful to have and the "Treasury" (Brown Book)....I dream of finding!
Deb

Susan Elliott said...

This is WONDERFUL!!! I can see how this would work very well. how did you separate them into color groups? I can't thank you enough for this. I will definitely be copying you and singing your praises!!

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you Gerry and all who used this system along with Miss Carole for such a great idea. Mine are all still intact and I'm scared to separate them for that simple reason. Much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Is there any place to get these templates from? Please advise and thank you!

Unknown said...

Do you know if these templates are still available to buy? Please advise and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts