8/02/2023

From pillow sham to yoga tote


 When I was still doing a lot of needlework, one of the things I checked at the thrift store was pillow shams. They often had interesting materials or trim. I had six of them that I moved with me, planning to make pouches to protect fabric books.  


So when I needed a bag for my yoga mat, I  thought a pillow sham  was the perfect size.  All I would have to do is make one long seam, but it looks so naked. I did have a lot of lace and maybe I can sew a little onto it.  And, lo and behold, I found  that by using my left thumb to keep track of the edge of the lace and the spacing of the stitches, I was able to do it . The stitching was a little wonky but it was secure.  At first I kept going to my big magnifying  lamp to see how bad the stitches were; but after three or four times of checking, I decided what the heck, I didn't  really  care what they looked like.  I just had fun doing it. 

Then I decided I wanted a pocket for my phone. I tried to do it with the sewing machine on slow speed, but I made a horrible mess of it . Then I tried holding the pocket with my left hand and just turning the sewing machine wheel with my right hand and doing it one stitch at a time.  I was able to attach the pocket. So I added another pocket with lace.  I just gathered up the bottom, and now  just love it. 


This got my creative juices going and I couldn't wait to try something with another one of the pillow shams.  

I have a feeling this is going to open up something that will be lots of fun this winter.  How many things can I do with pillow shams?  The nice thing about them is they are finished and lined and ready to be embellished.

Stitch in, stitch out, stitch in, stitch out.

2 comments:

lacysuzette said...

Welcome Back! After all these many, long months of checking your blog, you have reappeared with a clever & useful project. Yay & thank you! Unfortunately, I am “sewing challenged “. May I ask you to clarify your “yoga mat tote” instructions? (Or is a mini-tute in our mutual future?) Did you overlap your long seam? My machine is ancient—it only sews backward & forward—so I’m not sure it will handle an overlapped seam or double layer of fabric. Perhaps you removed the back of the sham? When you “gathered” the bottom, did you create a pocket & install cording, like making the ends of a cover for a neckroll pillow? Any advice on sourcing & attaching the strap? I’d like to make one but I’m concerned I will crash & burn. 😬 Further details would be helpful if you have time!

S Barton said...

Yoga tote looks wonderful! You even put a strap on it. So glad you were able to sew again no matter what the stitches look like. I'm sure the sewing police won't be inspecting. Congrats!

Sass Barton

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts