8/21/2023

Don't call 911

 

As smoke is billowing from the house, one of the neighbo

rs says to another:  "Don't call 911, it's just Gerry cooking."  I consider any meal a success when I don't burn up a saucepan or set off the smoke alarms.  My stove has a digital control panel which I cannot see at all. 


I tried to memorize where specific controls were, but the  results were so hazardous that I gave up. One day I was going to cook some bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. I thought I had set it on bake.  I had missed the mark and set it on broil.  Before long, the bacon was cremated, and the grease was on fire. Our smoke alarm not only makes a screeching, screaming noise, it actually yells "Fire, Fire!"  And to top that, we have two smoke alarms.  So the house was filling with smoke, the alarms were screeching and screaming, and I was trying to get the bacon out of the oven with an oven mitt. The oven mitt melted.  At this point I ran to get a neighbor to help, and he saved the day. Now I let somebody else set the oven for me.   After it was all over, I remembered the fire extinguisher in the pantry.

I still burn a saucepan or two.  So whenever I'm at a thrift store, I check the saucepans.  If there's a good one, I buy it . I know it's inevitable that before long I'll burn another one..  

My cooking style has changed with my declining eyesight.  All my life, cooking has been a joy.  Getting up in the morning and donning an apron was always a good day. I only try to do recipes that have a great leeway for measurements.  If I do try to make something that has specific measurements, I have DH do all the measuring before he leaves home. 

For liquids, I have this nifty little device that I received from LCSB *. It fits on the edge of my measuring cup.  When I pour liquid into the cup, when the liquid reaches the device, there is a beep.  LiCSB* also provided me with a black cutting board, which is great when I'm cutting things like cheese, onions, apples, etc.--things that are hard to see on a wooden board. 

I use the stove less and less and the slow cooker more and more. I  keep a supply of packaged sauces and gravies that I could make in a minute  to cover up my mistakes.  If I'm lucky, I only burn something on one side so I can serve it with the burned side down.

If it is truly a disaster, it all goes in the trash and we have soup from the freezer.  My biggest concern is that I'll miss something when I'm deboning fish or chicken, or that I won't see mold.  I like to listen to cooking YouTubes and Bobby Flay for inspiration so I can just keep on cooking.

*Lilac City Services for the Blind 

2 comments:

gocrazywithme said...

I have wondered if you are still able to cook. I'm so glad you are finding ways to keep creating, gardening, cooking.

S Barton said...

I applaud your cooking efforts and desire to continue to do so and that you just don't throw your hands up and quit. As you know it's very scary cooking with limited vision. Can you glue a little button on the BAKE setting? And please be careful with dish towels around the stove top or any flowy long sleeves. The dark cutting board is a good idea, didn't think of vegetables blending in with a light colored board. You don't think about these things until you have to. I know how much you enjoy cooking and I hope you can find some work-arounds. Do you have a newer oven with a Smart App? Not sure what they are but I see them on TV and you can use voice command through your phone, I think. Your backyard circle/square looks good by the way. Also, pumpkin ravioli's will be out soon. Enjoy and be careful.
Sass Barton

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts