4/26/2020

My favorite flower not a rose......

People called me the "rose lady" because I had so many roses and propagated them and sold them.  But truth be known they were never my favorite flower.  If I could only have one type of plant in a garden it is without a doubt ...small flowering clematis.  There are varieties of  all shapes, colors, and for all seasons and they are going to be the divas in my new garden.

Years ago I used to eagerly await the   plant catalogs that came right after the first of the year. I could spend hours going through and marking all the gardens plants that I would love to have had but I've always had abysmal  luck with mail-order nurseries so while it was fun to look at the catalogs I seldom send an order. Now when it's dreary and cold I go online and look at   plant sites and I've been doing that just lately with searching the sites carrying small flowering clematis.





About four years ago I went to a plant sale and spent too much on clematis and felt really guilty because I knew I probably wasn't going to stay that the farm much longer and I was buying all these plants http://olderrose.blogspot.com/2016/05/two-types-of-clematis.html   but now I have moved them with me and so glad that I bought them.  I have moved 15   to the long fence that is at the back of my new garden but that didn't keep me from ordering two more a week or so ago. It will take a couple years for them to get established but I can wait. 




 Now I found a site that has Princess Diana clematis which I've been coveting for several years and I have to order it.  Unfortunately they had a minimum order which means I have to order two more besides Diana. I could say it would be a birthday present for me. But I've already ordered a birthday present for me so maybe this can be a housewarming gift for me. I could try to justify it by saying I'm not going to thrift stores and have all that extra money except I 've spent all that extra money shopping on Amazon. It is truly a dilemma. I say this as I push the button to send   yet another order off for more clematis

Just a few of the ones I have.....

 
 

2 comments:

JustGail said...

I enjoyed going back to read about clematis. I think I may need to add one (two? three? more?) of these. Where did you order the Princess Diana plant from? I think most places around here carry only the large flowered clematis. I'm looking forward to seeing your gardens this year.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

There are certainly worse things than clematis to spend your money on! And just thing of the years of enjoyment you will get from them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts