4/19/2020

Today is one of those days...........

Today is one of those days when I wake up I think of all the things I could do today. I felt like I was 31 and could do them all.  But by  the time I had my coffee I realized I was 81 and I had to think about what I am able to do..... not what I wanted to do. What I really wanted to do today was get out and dig up the bed for the peonies. Then I realized I really needed to do is get a sprinkler system man out here and have him lay out where the sprinkling system is because I am afraid as I'm cutting up the sod I am going to cause a big problem by hitting a sprinkler pipe.  Since it is Sunday I will have to wait until Monday to call and probably it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before he could get here...so time to rethink today. Eventually this peony bed will be about 3 times this size but I need a place to get all I've dug in the ground until I can enlarge the bed...The ground is so hard and rocky that it is very slow digging.
 
 
So putting that project on the table.... next in the line is building a frame for a piece of stained glass for the deck and to finish sorting out the sod from this hellebore bed. Yesterday we drove to the neighboring city and I got  all my hellebores from my dear friend who had been keeping them for me over the winter.  Now they are all planted. I still have all the sod clumps  by the side of the bed to deal with.  I sit on a chair and knock  off as much of the dirt as I can and then I add some   perlite and  some farm soil and mix it up and add it back to the bed. It seems to be working. Then the green sod that is left goes into my new compost bin....
 
Yesterday we got this precious bird bath installed where I can see it from the kitchen.  It was a gift from our realtor and it is just the perfect whimsy for my garden.  Don't you just love it?  I put my little solar bubbler in it and it works great because it gets sun all day.We just have to wait for the birds to find us.
 
 
 So today I will go ahead and finish cleaning up all the sod and  if I have any energy left I'll clean out the freezer and reorganize it. Things got all jumbled during the move and I can't find anything. First thing Monday I will call a sprinkler man and go ahead with the peony bed then in a responsible way.
 
 
 
 
 
 My overall plan is to have the new bed of hellebores also loaded with daffodils. It will be my spring bed. Next to bloom will be the peony bed in June and   the bulk of summer color will be all clematis vines that I am planting. I have a very very small garden area so going up the fence with color is my best option.   I have about 15 planted and I just ordered three more and I'm going to try to dig up a couple more at the farm this week that should give me color all through the summer..... lots and lots of color

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Oh Gerry You hit it! I get that feeling too, the one that until you've had your coffee you feel 30 and get about half through the day before realizing, oh yeah, not 30 anymore! I cant wait to see how your garden grows. I have a 10 year old Wisteria that has never bloomed any ideas? I trimmed it back last year almost to it's main branchings, it gets southern sun, it leaves and vines like a pro, if I let it go it gets into the attic! I do love it as it is but wouldn't it be lovely to see it finally bloom.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

We all have those days Gerry! When and where did you move? I'll have to catch up on old posts to find out...
Take care & stay safe!
Kerry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts