5/26/2019

The eyes have it!!!

Life has laid me low for awhile... First I had a terrible cold for about 2 weeks and then I fell backward down some stairs and hit my head and sprained my knee and when I just recovered from that I've had a vicious flu bug...

But wanted to share a bit of news....  Last fall there were some eyeglasses in one of the jewelry cases at my favorite thrift store...  These weren't just any old frames as they were literally encrusted with rhinestones.  Oh I wanted those frames... but would I actually wear them and they were all of $21.. so I wandered around the store and finally I left without them... and then regretted it and they were gone when I went back.   So I occasionally scan through eyeglass frames on eBay and Etsy looking for something similar and recently found some.

These aren't quite as glitzy but I know I will wear them... I was lucky as they were a small size and fit me perfectly.  They are from the 50s and were made by a frame company called Victory Optical founded in 1941and their frames were worn by the likes of Buddy Holly, Dean Martin, Connie Frances, etc. ..  The lenses in my current glasses are scratched beyond repair and I really deserve these.....right? 

And that being the case why not get new sunglasses for myself for my birthday as well.. and I ordered these frames for that..  I just love finding vintage designer frames that fit me and have found quite a few over the years. 

The price varies widely depending on the designer ... These Christian Dior frames are a whopping $800 but if they were affordable I would buy them in a minute.

I also loved these but they say right off that they are oversized but they are also overpriced.


There are so many really cool ones... not my size or style but it is fun to look. And a lot of cat's eye frames from the 60s which I hear are making a comeback.  What can I say....some women have a thing for shoes but I love fancy frames.  If I were rich I would have many pairs to fit my moods and outfits.




2 comments:

Margaret said...

I DO hope you are on the mend and will stay that way for a while, if for no other reason than to be able to truly enjoy your new specs! I've worn glasses since age 9, and remember back then (early nineteen sixties) the pointy frames with rhinestones...and yes, even at that tender age I had a pair! Then there were "granny glasses" and then over-sized ones that dominated my small face...and on and on. These days I tend to stick to rectangles, in plastic (because of the thickness of my lenses) but I've been fixated on purple for the last 3 pair...so that's my tribute to my current stage of life! May you continue to enjoy yours!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh goodness - no more falling down the stairs (backwards OR forwards!!!). I enjoyed seeing the glasses and well remember the tiger-eye (cats eye?) versions and had a pair back in the day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts