9/22/2018

A doll is not just a doll...

Occasionally I have shown a photo of my bedroom and you may have noticed the large print of Berthe Morisot's "Girl with a Doll" which has been with me for years and years.  I was so moved the first time I saw that painting... it was me.... it is really me even though it was painted in 1886.  I only had two dolls in my early years.  We moved constantly during that time following work.  We lived either in a travel trailer or a motel room. Those dolls were more than toys...they were friends and family. 
 
The first doll was Effenbee's Sweetie Pie which I received for Christmas in 1943.  She was composition with a cloth body. She had lamb's wool hair and her eyes opened and closed.  At some point my mother decided I was too old for dolls and she disappeared.  For years and years I searched antique stores for one like her to no avail.  But once Ebay came into existence I was able to replace her.
The second doll was a tiny bisque baby doll I received in 1947. A kind elderly  lady taught me to crochet about that time and I used tatting thread to crochet outfit after outfit  for it.  When I left for college the shoe box of all her outfits disappeared but I still have the doll.  It sits on a antique buffet in the living room. Once grown my love affair with dolls continued.  I started making dolls for my kids and my grandchildren but none ever seemed to care about dolls like I did.  So at some point I started making dolls for myself and I have them everywhere.
I tell you all this for a purpose.  Some time back I joined a CQ round robin where each stitcher picked her own theme and I picked paintings of girls with dolls and I ran across those blocks yesterday.  I had never done anything with them because I  always meant to repeat that RR so I would 10-11 blocks and it never happened.
 
I still have images for about 15 more paintings of girls with dolls and am trying to decide if I want to find a way to use them all.....brain in gear!!!
 
This is my year for granddaughter bonding.  My granddaughter Leigha from Alaska just arrived for a nice long visit.  She recently finished nursing school and is spending time with us before she starts a new job and new chapter in her life. Today we went to the public market, a festival and visited some gardens.  She is going to help me with some projects and I am going to teach her how to sew.


3 comments:

Momma Bear said...

OH, Gerry! so, I was wondering......
I love dolls! I have a cadre of them in and around the house but I never had many when I was young as my mother the feminist, thought them "a misogynist plot to keep women barefoot and pregnant". -.- Luckily I had a gramma who would get them for me as christmas presents.
If you want help, I would be overjoyed to do one of your blocks, the middle two girlies just sing to me, that's only if you want the help.

Shirlee Fassell said...

It’s so nice to have a chance to spend time with your granddaughte. Your doll images are wonderful ..... perhaps you could put them in a book form.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I loved reading your story about your childhood dolls and it's wonderful that you were able to find a replacement for the one that disappeared. Your doll-themed blocks definitely need to be made into something - they're too precious to store away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts