8/06/2018

Memories and next?

I know I have said at times that the house wren is my favorite bird or that a hummingbird is  my favorite but if the real truth were known it is the magpie that is my really truly favorite.  They delighted me for more than twenty years until the ravens moved in and drove them away..  Not too far... only about 1/2 mile down the road  to another farm but I miss them dearly... I get the occasional visit from one but not the daily chattering I adored.

When I was working on the Bead Journal Project I did this piece about (4x6") and somewhere I did a magpie block but now I want to do a magpie pendant for a necklace.  Somehow I want it to be slightly three  dimensional and will have to do some deep thinking...  I've never really done that so my first thought is to sculpt it on the MOP with E8000.  I'll have to see if there is a chemical reaction between the glue and the sealer...  Stay tuned on this project.

Magpies, in some cultures. are regarded as a good luck symbol of joy, marital bliss, and long lasting fortune. The ancient Romans viewed the magpie as a creature of high intellect and reasoning powers. I've always felt a special kinship to magpies because they  are so attracted to shiny bits and pieces and especially so since I have been doing the jewelry...

Going back in the blog I found several posts about my funny magpies.  One about their outrageous huge nests which they enter and exit from the underside.







Another post was the year I was able to watch the young magpies fledge from the nest in the hawthorn tree by the sheep pasture.  That nest was so low that it was at my eye level.  What a treat that was.

And now that I'm thinking about it I'm wondering whatever happened to that magpie block.. I will have to keep an eye out for it as I'm sorting through CQ stuff.  I think it was for a magazine or calendar or some such thing...















But my favorite post was how the magpie nest was part  of the squirrel's  "What's for dinner this  winter drama!"

4 comments:

gocrazywithme said...

My brother had a pet magpie when I was very little. I don't remember much about it (except having to look up a long way to see it in its cage because I was so short) but it seems like he thought he could teach it to talk. I'll have to ask him about that next time I see him.
I forget to visit your blog for a time, then spend a lovely hour or so catching up. Love the jewelry you're doing. Sorry to hear that CQing isn't something you can do any longer.
Much love to you, dear Gerry!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't have Magpie or Ravens in Northern Indiana. But I do have Crows and I love them dearly. I am especially thrilled when one of MY crows stops on a branch of the tree in the front yard and peers in as if to say Thank You for dinner.
xx, Carol

Marilyn said...

We have magpies here. They are not well regarded by farmers but I love to watch them. Before the babies get too cautious they will land on our porch railing or hop around on the grass and yell for someone to come and feed them. So much fun to watch

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Alas, no magpies in this area (unless, of course, you count me!!). I wasn't aware that they entered their nests from below. It's a wonder that their babies don't fall out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts