4/20/2018

I had a vision

It eventually had to happen...but finally this door is talking to me.  It is in the older part of the house and has to be 70-80 years old.  It would have replaced years ago but it is a non-standard size and now I've grown to love it.  It is too narrow and every time we need to replace an appliance in the laundry room this door has to be removed and it is a struggle to get anything through it even then!

I've had numerous ideas for it... the foremost has been a pastoral scene in each panel with sheep.... similar to the buffet in the main room (see below).... but it is in a dark corner and you are right on it when you approach it.  It needed something more dramatic and whimsical...

Finally yesterday I went to put a load of clothes in the dryer The door actually spoke out loud to me and the vision appeared.  It will have to wait until June when the garden is done but it will happen... When the door speaks, what is a person supposed to do after all.... 38 years late...

About 30 years ago one of my mother's men friends, Bruce Brown, had this old buffet in his garage and used it to store paint and solvents on and in it.  I lamented loud and often about what a terrible thing to do to  a fine piece of furniture.  When he passed away his son showed up at the farm with the buffet and said his father's last wish was to challenge me to salvage the buffet.  Well the finish was beyond restoring  so I painted it and added the pastoral scene and probably to Bruce's delight it has had a new life indeed... with new knobs and a little paint - challenge met!!!

3 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

Your indeed saved the old buffet with style and grace! Can’t wait to see what you have in store for that old door!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It's funny that you posted about that door. My kitchen has a long and dissected history. New cabinets have been added, but yet the old lower are still there and don't match the top. I have been thinking I should paint the lower ones. When you painted the buffet, did you use acrylics? Did you put a finish coat over the design to protect it? I guess I'm going to have to do some research.

Marilyn said...

You always have such awesome ideas for inanimate objects. can't wait to see what you have in mind for the door :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts