For those who weren't following or can't remember, my inspiration was this sampler I stitched when my husband and I were married in 1976. I wanted to do a CQ to commemorate our 40th which is coming up this fall. It was a difficult piece to carry about and in the last months of caring for my mother it was set aside.
I had this vintage tablecloth which had this lovely crocheted border but the linen in the center was stained and had hole. So I decided to cover it with a foundation for this piece using vintage hankies..
I had gotten this far with it before I got sidetracked. Two bluebirds morphed into 8 bluebirds. I still have the charms and beads to add and lots of foliage to finish. But the end is in sight.
I had wanted from the beginning to back it with a soft blue moiré taffeta which proved almost impossible to find. When I visited Susie W in January 2015 we scoured the garment district and fabric stores with no luck. I did find a piece of blue silk the right color but I had my heart set on the taffeta. I finally found a piece on line and used the silk on the corset blocks...
The camera greatly exaggerates the pattern of the moiré. It is really very subtle. I had wanted to add some SRE in the indentation in the sides but again it is awkward to work on with a hoop and difficult to carry about at this stage of completion.
So I pinned the piece to the taffeta and basted around the indentation. I used the quilter tape so I didn't have to mark a line where to baste. I did put a tailor's tack on one corner of the quilt and taffeta so when I reapply the quilt it will fit correctly..
When I remove the quilt I have the basted area marked and it will be easy to put in a hoop, carry about and add just a touch of SRE. I would really like to have it finished and enter it in the fair this fall. I have never entered a piece in the fair but this has special memories with every stitch... Happy Valentine's Day...