11/08/2013

Inspiration when you least expect it!

When I was looking at hanky panky CQ in Pinterest I saw  this  one that used a small fancy table cover as a backing... Now what a clever idea! I especially love the idea of repurposing this hardanger linen table cover which probably just was languishing in a drawer and not interesting enough  to hang by itself. A marriage made in heaven







 I have 3 (maybe 4) similar table covers about that size.. the largest about 45 and this one about 35.  The hand crocheted lace on all of them is in perfect condition  but the cotton or linen centers are either thin or disintegrating...  I now use them under my featherweight on its antique typing stand. This one (which need to be starched and ironed) would be perfect if I did the HPCQ in the interesting center shape.

I can hardly wait until my hanky stash arrives in the mail...  In the meantime I am back to the suffrage quilt tonight...


Putting the threads on hoops is the greatest "take-along" task and next week I will be somewhere every single day that I'm waiting on someone..  But I'm making progress slow but sure.











BUT everywhere I look there are bags, drawers, and even a box full of thread. This does not even include the perles on spools or the krieniks. I did not buy all this thread.  The bulk of it was from thrift stores, gifted to me by someone trying to find a home for it or from 60+ years of stitching.

You can believe that all the thread neatly wrapped on cards in that tidy box was a gift...NEVER would I sit and wrap all those little cards and label them by color.................... FOTFLOL.....

I am using many more colors just because they are accessible and it will be so nice to grab a few rings when I'm off to teach a class.

2 comments:

margaret said...

so looking forward to seeing what you do with your hankies, love how the hardanger frames the one you have shared with us. So many threads but can we ever have enough!!

Marilyn said...

What a great way to salvage some old linens. I'll have to remember it. And I'm still looking for a place to hang rings of threads. All my cottons are sorted by colour into ziplocks backs and then stuffed in the bottom drawer of a plastic drawer tower. I'm eyeing the closet in the bedrooms for the grandkids. At the moment it stores the large bag of dog food but I might be able to squish in some rings of thread. Have to think on it some more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts