10/16/2011

Faux Gold or Fool's Gold

I've been fascinated with goldwork for a long time...  The very first time I played around with it was on a fan for Bonnie in a FanRR. years ago.. I used a lot of my cheap Christmas cordings and braids and loved doing it. 

My next attempt was on a block for Leslie. I again got to use lots of my cheap cheap Christmas gold cords, braids and beads using gold work techniques...

Goldwork is usually done with actual gold threads and is very expensive.  About a year or so ago I posted a Goldwork RR and it quickly filled.  I was thinking I would use my cheap trims but people began talking about using real gold and I dropped out immediately as I didn't want to have others spend a lot of money on real gold when I couldn't afford it.

So after I get back from Wichita I'd like to try again and  post a "Fool's Gold" RR for just using goldwork techniques with faux gold materials.  I know Kerry was interested at one time and Janet said she would be interested.  I'd like to know if anyone else is interested..
If I can get enough people I will send out a baggie of stuff from my really cool gold stash to each entrant to get them started and now is the time to look for it in the thrift stores with the Christmas stuff and the markdown bins at hobby shops.

People always think of goldwork in connection with religious vestments or holiday work but it lends itself to everything, especially insects and anything floral.

  I really like using the colored  Edmar threads to couch the gold braid and cording...  But before I post a RR I want to make sure others are interested and it is understood at the beginning that it is faux gold being used... Comment or send me a note if you might be interested.
 
On the home front I have been eating healthy but a little weird... yogurt, granola and fruit in the morning and just a sandwich late afternoon...  But today I am going to fix a "proper" meal...  I am baking some brown rice in the oven and am thawing out some shrimp to saute with baby squash and fresh tomatoes... Unfortunately my euphoric "clink, clink" turned out to be a large rock so I am back to digging... DH will be home in 8 days...  I will probably take his suitcase and hand him the shovel.. Welcome Home Honey!!!!!

11 comments:

Arlene White said...

G'day Gerry, I was signed up and I think I still am in the CQI for a swap with goldwork. I'm in, I've been busting to do a goldwork one.

Arlene

Kerry said...

I still think this one will be a hoot Gerry - I'm in!

karen said...

I would love to do a Faux gold RR, My latest quilt is titled "all that glitters is not gold" so I have a collection of golden items to use up! Are the blocks to be gold embellished on to a colourway of our choice or do we get "direction" ? I will be following this converstaion with bells on...

gocrazywithme said...

Yes, still count me in!

Wendy said...

I would love to do this with you Gerry! I have been wanting to do a gold work look for a while now.

Cathy said...

I'm a fool interested in a fool's gold RR after the holidays.

So, do you have aching muscles? I have them for you just thinking about all that digging.

Cathy L

Momma Bear said...

I would be ecstatic to join you in this fools gold RR!

Susan Elliott said...

I'm not sure where folks would get real gold...The Japanese embroidery center carries it but I have never used it. We always use imitation gold for the very reason you stated...$$$$. That being said, I do use real metal thread...but it's not real gold...maybe it's brass or something but I really don't know. I like the name of the RR...fool's gold...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would love to sign up for this one if it doesn't start until after Christmas. I have too much on my plate right now to even consider it at the moment. I haven't been involved in a RR for awhile and I miss it. If you'll have me, I'd love to take part!

maire said...

I'd love to be part of your fool's gold group, Gerry !!! Sounds great!!! Maire

Sue said...

Do you accept 'foreigners'? I'm in the UK but would love to join in! Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts