3/11/2024

worth the extra money after all.

Whenever I meet someone who has been diagnosed with macular my advice is always the same: start now to master dictation and text readers.  We all think we don't need them yet.  But once you do need it, it is so much harder to learn a new technology.

Learning to use dictation it's fairly easy and allows you to reach out to people.  But if you don't master the text reader, no one can respond. You really need to know how to use both.

My new phone has a text reader feature which I am trying to learn now. Unfortunately, all the instructions are in text that I can't read.

The dictation and the text reader on my old Word program were abysmal because it was so old and outdated.  I tried to buy  a new Word program.  Now you can't buy the program outright.  You have to pay  a yearly fee to use the newest  version.

I figured it was a waste of money, but I was really wrong.  Both dictation and the text reader on the new word program worked beautifully and in sync.  I couldn't be happier. I only wish the narrator on Microsoft Windows 10  worked as well.  It’s so frustrating as well as being complicated.  The Word text reader only works on Word and not on the internet.  So I am still struggling for anything on the internet.   

Now for the blog I use Word dictation instead of dictation on my phone. Then I listen to it with Word text reader, and then my  husband does  the final editing.

This is all going more smoothly now.  The only glitch is inserting pictures. Somehow my picture file system is all messed up.  I am now focusing on the picture problem.  So in the end, getting the new Word program was worth the extra money after all.   

2 comments:

JustGail said...

Excellent advice! I'm glad the Word versions are much improved.

As to internet and MS Navigator, I'd try to copy the internet text and paste it into a Word document and use its text reader. At least I hope you can see enough yet to try that. If not...ugh. I wonder if one of those newfangled wizz-bang AI things could be of use?

S Barton said...

Good Advice.

I'm glad you found a program that makes it easier for you, and good luck on the pictures. I know the font on these blog responses is so small I can barely read it. Hopefully when it reaches you that you can enlarge it or have text reader do it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts