5/30/2020

Requested greenhouse information

Someone requested more info on how I'm choosing my greenhouse.  First I only have room for a 6x8' so that narrowed the field.  I am the first to admit this is a toy for my old age and an expensive one.  But on a positive note it will extend the season that I can be outside and working with plants.... a very healthy thing for me mentally and physically.

When we owned the nursery we had two 20x100' greenhouses so I am well aware of problems of high winds and heavy snow load. So I immediately dismissed kits in the $100-$200.  Then there seemed to be three price brackets remaining...  $500-$700 range, $1500-$1800 range, and then $4000+ range
....after reading volumes of reviews I also dismissed the $500 range as not standing up to our winters here and I won't live long enough to justify spending the $4000+ range.  Here is a good link to midrange greenhouses for an overview....

https://epicgreenhouses.com/greenhouses/wood-frame.php

So now I am in the process of taking a real close look at the joinery,weight and materials and am at this point drawn to a redwood one made here in this country and it runs about $1800 and seems to be a good compromise and heavy enough to hold up.  If one is too lightweight, even if it has cement tie downs, a good strong wind will shred it. So when I make a final decision you can be sure it was not in haste. This is the link to the one that is the front runner at the moment. https://epicgreenhouses.com/sunshine-greenhouses.php/

All the years I did thousands of rose cuttings I always wanted to try doing clematis cuttings so this would be a chance to try something new and interesting that doesn't depend on keen eyesight.  Also all the years on the farm when water was scarce, I was limited to drought tolerant plants.  Now I have a sprinkler system and would like to try my hand at growing annuals from seed to fill in my beds.

3 comments:

Lady Locust said...

That glass one in the last post is drool-worthy! Have to say, I was a follower and "lost you" somewhere along the way but have just "refound" you :-) and so glad. Your garden is looking beautiful. I have some catching up to do.

JustGail said...

Thank you for the greenhouse information! Wind is a huge issue here, winds of 20-30 mph for a few days at a time is pretty common, especially in spring. I too am thinking it would be primarily for starting seeds, especially after this spring - quantity and selection seemed greatly lacking this year, not to mention the cost for quantities I'd like in a couple of places. At least in the few green houses and garden centers I got to.

Penny Wessenauer (d0npen) said...

I've had you on my mind and am hoping you are surviving this pandemic in good health..
I so enjoy reading your posts and following along as you make changes to your new home. Be well..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts