1/18/2020

Bird/Tassel/Valance! I can do this!!!!!!!

Ever since I posted the other day about combining little birds with tassels on a valance I have been mulling over options trying to come up with a way I can do this at my current ability level.  And I think I have it nailed...
First I had to find little wooden birds that I could paint and I found them on Etsy,  Not only did I find them, I ordered them last night and received an email that they had been shipped this morning....
 
I did see lots of birds already painted in other materials ....mostly when I searched for bird ornaments.  But I didn't want just any old birds, I wanted birds from my garden.  Several years ago I put together this picture collection of the colorful birds that visit us. 

Now I just have to whittle it down to my eight most favorite...  Probably goldfinch, chickadee, red winged blackbird, grosbeak, rufus-sided towhee, hummer, flicker and bluebird....this will be hard. Maybe  I should have ordered a bigger batch of birds.
 

Then I started thinking about the valance sections.  I know I could still gather enough fancy fabrics to crazy quilt the sections but I hesitate to set myself up for frustration and ultimate failure.

After   I work at the new house I come home to the farm  sometimes I just go through my closet again and try to get rid of more stuff. I have been through it several times already but each time through I get rid of more.  Sometimes I put something in the "donate" bag and take it out and sometimes more than once.  

So last night when I was going through my closet once again I came upon this jacket that has gone into the donate bag twice before and I've taken it out.   I was going to put it in there again when I  really looked at it with a new vision. It's all pieced velvet and brocade.  It has been my holiday jacket for years and years and I needed to let it go as it was showing wear and was too big anymore.  I realized it would make a beautiful valance when cut up and there's just about enough material.  It was a sign for sure. I will cut it up tonight before I can change my mind. I even found a piece of burgundy silk to line the sections.
 
 
 
Then I thought why not make my own tassels with all this thread I have acquired over the years. They would not take that long to do and I could mix the colors and blend them and by then my mind was just was just racing with possibilities and I know I can do all this..

So the bird/ tassel/valance project is a go.  What's more I know just where I'm going to put it.

4 comments:

Suzie in Idaho said...

What a beautiful idea, I love the whole project, can't wait to see it. Suzie in Idaho

Jane R said...

I love reading your blog. You do the most creative projects that are just wonderful. If we were asked to pick a bird, I would vote for a bluebird. We have had a pair at our feeders this winter and they so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your projects, Jane in MO

Lisa Boni said...

I love that you are saving the jacket and turning it into a valance ~ and with the bird tassels, it will be a work of art! Can't wait to see it! Have been loving following along on all your moving projects as you turn your new house into a home!

S Barton said...

I can't wait to see it! I'm so glad you pulled that jacket out of the donation bag and are repurposing it. It will look fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts