6/27/2019

My best bird buddies are back!!!

In 2014 we awoke to find the ravens had landed...everywhere .. there were literally hundreds of them.  And they stayed and they not only stayed, they drove off my beloved magpies.  I tried to get a good picture of the "raven happening" but the minute I appear in a window or anywhere near...off they fly.  There are about 100  of them. The collective noun for ravens is an "unkindness" or a  "conspiracy" I definitely had a conspiracy of ravens.  

The ravens were here for 5 years and now they are gone.  Not that I had anything against ravens but they weren't very social with me.  They were all around and flying over the garden but never really entering it.  There must have been nests but I never saw them.  They were very vocal but never really chattered and cackled like the magpies... occasionally one would dive at Morris. Morris didn't like the ravens.

When the magpies left they didn't go far....just to a woody marsh 1/2 mile away.  So when the ravens up and left this spring the magpies lost no time in returning and I couldn't be happier hearing them flutter and cavort about the garden.

I blogged often about their big ungainly nests.  My favorite was one in a hawthorn tree by the sheep pasture.  The tree was not very tall and the nest was at my eye level... I watched the whole process of building, raising young and seeing them fledge.  The parents never landed on the nests... always a few branches away and hip hopped from branch to branch before they entered.

One year they nested in the apple tree outside the kitchen window and gave us a lot of laughs.  Another year they nested in a pine tree very near my little porch and we never tired of watching them hop all over that tree .  Not only do they talk constantly, they splash and play in the bird baths and play tag all over the garden.  I never knew why the ravens suddenly moved in or just as suddenly left but I hope they are gone for good.

And tonight at 10:40 as I type this I am being serenaded by a pair of owls.. I am so thankful for all the joy our feathered friends add to our life.  This is a bumper year for baby quail as well...seeing new little batches of fuzz balls all the time..


2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh gosh. I had Three Crows. One flew off and found a mate. Now I still have three crow and another 4. They know me and I know them. Gosh I love them!!
xx, Carol

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love birds - they're endlessly fascinating. Although, I could do without so many starlings and blackbirds who are exceedingly noisy at the feeder. Sadly we have decided to not put out a feeder any more - the dropped seeds are attracting squirrels which have decided that they should destroy air conditioning and fuel lines in some of the cars in the parking lot. After we heard of at least six people having to pay huge repair bills, we decided to do our part not to attract the little four-legged marauders and stop feeding our beloved birds. I'll miss them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts