2/02/2019

Home and Fat Feet!!!

Home and on the couch with Morris finally...and does it ever feel good.  I went into surgery at six am on a Monday and didn't regain consciousness until midday on Thurs. and then slid  in and out for the next couple days.  By then DH was convinced I was brain damaged and was frantic.  Four weeks have passed and all is getting better day by day.

Some things like the incision that I expected to be very painful was not and others like the tube in my side to drain fluid from my lungs was extremely painful and I hadn't expected that at all... 

The top of the incision peeks above most of my tops and looks like a tattoo of two dragonflies fighting.  Now I am focused on healing and getting stronger.  When I started walking in the mall I would walk 12 steps, stop, take 3 breaths and repeat until I reached 1/2 mile....counting every step and gasping for every breath.  Today I could walk steady for 1 mile with only a few stops to catch my breath... Just call me "Full Speed Ahead (sorta) Krueger".

Up until the day I left rehab my feet were so swollen I couldn't get a pair of shoes on.  In my youth I had taken an inventory of my physical assets and at the top of the list was "a well turned-out ankle" which has been a very desirable asset since the 1700s when shoe fashions included a slight heel. So I was dismayed by two fat feet depleting my inventory of physical assets.  But after gallons of hot lemon water that too is passing...

DH has been a fabulous  caregiver and now my precious daughter-in-law (THE ONE) has arrived as a back up and between the two of them  I hope to be strong enough to be dividing peonies in March.

I want to thank profusely everyone who sent cards, emails, and messages.  DH read every single one of them to me two or three times and they really lifted my spirits.  I love you all.

13 comments:

Cathy said...

So glad to hear you’re on the road to a robust recovery! Sounds like you’re getting plenty of love and attention!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I needed some good news today Gerry and this was it! I'm so very happy that the surgery is over and that you're home and enjoying all the TLC you can lap up from your hubby and now your 'grand'. Sending healing thoughts your way for continued (and rapid) improvement (and that well turned heel you're hoping for!).

Shirlee Fassell said...

Dear Gerry it’s wonderful to hear you are on the road to recovery! You have been missed!

Marci said...

So glad to see a post from you again. Happy you are making progress. A mile is great!

Suztats said...

Such good news, Gerry! So glad you are getting better!

gocrazywithme said...

I'm so glad to see you are home and enjoying the comforts of life again! You had so many CQers pulling for you, from all over the US and around the world, there's no way you could have NOT recovered. Please tell Ron and your DIL that we are all grateful for the great care they are giving you. Much love to you, dear Gerry!

M. Hair said...

Gerry,

I have checked your blog daily hoping to hear that all went well with your surgery. So glad to see you felt well enough to check in on your blog. Recovery will take time but slow and steady will get you there. I'll be looking for the post regarding gardening in March.
Take care,
Marjorie

Suzie in Idaho said...

So delighted to see you back. You look WONDERFUL!!! Good care is a fantastic gift, a labor of love. I remember how wonderful my hubby was to me after my back surgery. SO glad you are better. Love the precious pup at your side, my little dog wouldn't get off of me either. They are such comforters. Suzie in Idaho

crafty cat corner said...

So, so pleased to know that you are at last recovering. I don't know you at all except through your posts and have followed your wonderful paintings and needlework in admiration for a long time. How brave of you to take on this major op although I suppose you didn't have much choice, but still you are marvellous.
Speedy healing and I look forward to more of your brilliant work in the future.
Hugs from Brighton in the u.k. where it is grey and raining, lol
Briony
x

Marilyn said...

I'm so glad to hear you are recovering. I checked your blog nearly every day to see if there was a progress report. Big hugs and speedy recovery :)

maggie said...

So so happy you are home. That will help to make recovery come faster; well that, the sweet love of Morris and of course your beautiful family. We would look at your post everyday hoping for some news. Continue to do well sweet Gerry and all of us will be waiting for your spring plans. Sending big, big hugs your way. Love, Dianne from Texas

justanitzybitcrazy said...

What a delight that you are on the mend. I also was checking the blog daily for updates but was happy to see that your DH was posting some updates on Facebook. We have all been rooting for you, that all went well and you would be home soon. Now take care that you don't over due it. Here's hoping you will be as good as new by spring, which I hope isn't too far down the road. It's a nippy -40 celcious up north here...brrrr!! Hugs for now :)

S Barton said...

I'm so glad you are on the road to recovery. I checked your blog often and was concerned when there wasn't anything posted. I'm sure with your fur puppy on your lap you will be better in know time. Sass ~ Historical Button Club Coeur D'Alene, ID

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts