12/06/2016

Culinary tidbits and a squash bomb!!!!

I hate trying to peel or cut up a squash so for the last 60 years I have prepared squash the same way... baking it whole.  I stick the whole squash in the oven on a low temperature and when I can pierce the skin with a fork, I remove it, easily cut it in half and scoop out seeds and pulp... works like a charm... But yesterday I was roasting a squash in this manner and heard a big KABOOM and found this mess in my oven... I just shut the oven door and hoping the next time I open it the mess will have disappeared.
Obviously from now on I will wrap the squash in foil first. I had laundry baskets full of squash from the garden this year and I bake one every few days as a treat for the chickens...they just love it...


 The only TV I have is in my workroom and I have it on when I paint buttons so I really only listen to it....and it is mostly on the food channel and invariably I'm inspired to cook something different.  Just recently it was seedless red grapes which I love.  But a chef roasted them and served them with salmon and a cream sauce..... I had never thought to roast them but they were absolutely delicious. It made me think of other ways to use them and with roast pork came to mind first. But  Epicurious magazine has a whole web page on ways to use roasted grapes.  I will definitely try them on crostini with ricotta or goat cheese but what sounded the best was warm roasted red grapes on ice cream... I can almost taste the warm sweet grapes on cold ice cream......

In my freezer I have a lot of rockfish  from my son ...  It is a white fish and I usually serve it with roasted sweet potatoes but am always looking for an alternate side dish that is colorful and I want to try one I saw on TV yesterday.  It's a dish from northern Italy .... beet gnocchi with brown butter and sage.

I have to admit two things.... first I absolutely love gnocchi and second I fail miserably every time I make it.  My dear friend Cristina makes gnocchi that is light and fluffy and melts in your mouth.  Mine is more like gummy lumps of dough..  but I keep trying.  Cristina even gave me a lesson on gnocchi one Sunday and shared all her tips.  I blogged about it several years ago.

I love it when she sends me home with a bag of frozen gnocchi but she is wintering in California so I'm on my own.  This recipe calls for an egg and Cristina would laugh as she says only Americans put an egg in gnocchi..  I roasted the beets yesterday and think I will give it a try tomorrow.  Wish me luck....

5 comments:

sandra in SC said...

I like to roast Brussels sprout and red grapes together. Try it!

Unknown said...

Haha, dear Gerry!
So hilarious to read your post! Yes, no egg in the gnocchi!!
Come and visit me in South California and we'll do "Italian gnocchi"" together again :)
Miss you!

margaret said...

oh dear rather yoiu than me to clean your oven. Grapes with salmon sounds delicious as I love both and your plate looks delicious. I do not think I have ever had gnocchi

Marilyn said...

IT would never have occurred to me to roast grapes but it sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try. I'm finally going to get a small raised bed garden this summer and for sure I'm going to plant butternut squash. Its my favourite although I like others too. did you put in a request to the oven cleaning fairy? I keep trying but she always seems to be too busy.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my - the exploded squash....remind me not to do that!! As for roasted grapes - I've heard of it but never had enough nerve to try it. Now I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts