5/17/2014

I knew there was a reason! ..... and a surprise!!!

When I posted about adding the black patches I received suggestions about adding black decorative seams and black lace.  I knew that was not what I wanted but I couldn't put the reason into words.  Then after I had chatted with Janet Popish it came to me...... adding blacks seams and black lace would give the piece the look of stained glass..  Not that stained glass is bad, it is just not what I was seeing in my vision..  Using all the same colors of the patches would add depth and texture.

I mentioned that I couldn't recall seeing an antique crazy quilt with black seams and Janet sent this comment which I thought was interesting: "When I was doing CQ restoration work, black embroidery thread was rarely needed. I didn't even have any in my stash of silk threads  for the first few years. Probably only needed it on 2 or 3 quilts the whole 6 years I did that work."


Remember when I was lamenting how incongruous this little turquoise stool was with my antique typing table and old Singer featherweight?  I thought I would eventually cover the stool with something but finally decided, since they are among my most beloved possessions, that I really needed to do them justice... 










So I started looking for an antique piano stool that was within my budget.  It took some time but finally found one.  Then the plastic Ott light had to go.  Luckily I had this vintage swing lamp on one of my sewing machines in the barn...perfect.  From now until I die, no  matter where I live, these pieces will be with me.
























Also remember last year at this time I was deep into my "rainbow door" conspiracy? Well it has brought me great joy ever since.  Every night at dark I go out and lock up the chicken coop against the racoons.  When I return to the house this is what I see and I smile.

I'm not sure it is normal or even healthy to get so attached to "things" but I sure do!

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

The door looks fantastic Gerry! What fun.

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Olderrose, I have done a kind of stained glass effect bit of patchwork, I make a runner to rest my hands on at the computer, this was embroidered in black, you can see it in my Flikr photos on my blog. crafty-cats-corner.blogspot.com. hope it helps with your decision
Briony
x

Cathy said...

Oh my! I had never seen a picture of the whole door before, and it is amazing. That door would make anyone smile!! Love, love, love it!

Amy in LA said...

Gerry, I think intensely visual (and perhaps tactile) people naturally have very strong attachments to their "beautiful things". I am just like you, I am happy every time I look at a favorite piece of art or crazy quilting in my home. I bet there are lots of us! I get great joy looking at your blog and photos of your work and projects around your property!
Thanks for sharing the beauty you create! BTW, how is your Mom doing? Hope her health is much better! Amy in LA

Marilyn said...

Your stool is the perfect complement to the sewing nook. It must make you smile every time you walk by. And your door too. I don't see anything weird at all about loving your special things. There are enough trials in life that we all should have some special things that make us just feel good.

Marlynne said...

Yes Yes Yes to everything! The antique corner is perfect now, and the door is superb! Congratulations on a job well done!

margaret said...

your door looks spectacular, I expect you find people taking photos of ut I know I would want to! Lovely stool keeping company with your featherweight, would like one of those myself but having looked on ebay will have to pass on that want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts