2/18/2014

Linen and vintage Singer trading cards........

 
This lovely block belongs to Marilyn Nepper who is starting a CQ project using linen from blouses and shirts she's collected from thrift stores and I think it is going to be fabulous.  I've many fine linen and damask tablecloths I have always wanted to use but never even thought about using linen clothing... I'll definitely be on the lookout now for it.  And it is perfect for the turn of the century trading cards.

      
      Actually it was Marilyn who brought these cards to my attention several years ago... At the turn of the century  Singer Sewing Machine had an advertising campaign with trading cards about American Songbirds.  There were 13 in the series.  On the back of the cards was a promo for a Singer product.  They are delightful....

She had trouble getting things shipped to Canada  so I volunteered to put together a complete set for both  of us... There weren't any complete sets for sale so by combining partial sets I was eventually able to get a complete set for both of us... and actually cards in very good condition considering they were about 100 years old.

Each card had a picture of a bird and its egg and information about the bird on the back of the card.  Marilyn cut the bird out but I like the idea of the egg and the singer logo... I had forgotten all about mine but I searched them out when she started her project... These would be absolutely perfect for CQJP2014 so I may have to start a little late and play catch up...


 


5 comments:

Lisa Boni said...

Love the cards! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for some of those. I have been cutting up old linen clothes for a while in addition to the old decorative linens. Love using the old linen as it has a softness to it that new linen just doesn't have.

Marilyn said...

I'm still deciding whether or not I'll add the eggs. If I do, they will be separate from the birds so I can place them other than just where they were on the cards. And on my cover I'm going to have a circle with Singer Sewing Machine Co. around the outside and American Songbirds in the center...if I can get the lettering anywhere near even.

margaret said...

what pretty cards, they will look great on your CQJP blocks.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Beautiful images! Love the block!

Susan Elliott said...

I think you should sell the images as a set on your Etsy site and split the profits with Marilyn. I'll be first in line to buy a set! They're amazing!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts