1/19/2022

Miracles do happen in thrift stores!!

When I wrote the post about aprons, tablecloths and napkins I really didn't expect much response so was delighted at the comments and emails.  The very next trip to the thrift store I found this loose-weave cotton checked tablecloth.  Perfect for daffodil season and I have both yellow and white dishes.  I love checks, stripes and polka dots and have lots of checked tablecloths.

I had said I wouldn't buy anymore dishes after we moved but I lied.  I do donate a set back every time I buy new ones now though.  It is silly but new dishes give me a real mood boost for about $5 for 4 plates with my senior discount. I found these in the fall, and they are exactly my kitchen colors.  Popped right into my shopping cart.  The napkins didn't photo well and are a mossier green like the plates.  For years I have collected pewter napkins rings...all odd match.  Something else I never see anymore. 


But by far the most bizarre thrift store miracle happens this fall.  Next to Amazon, Wayfair is my favorite online store (free shipping) and last spring they were closing out this plastic tableware.  It was so cheap and so whimsical that I couldn't resist and used it often all through the summer.  I have a black and white checked tablecloth and used either red, yellow or green plates with it. It was fun for informal meals on the deck.


Then in October I saw four plates of this pattern that matched perfectly and couldn't believe my eyes.  There were no chips at all.  What are the odds of finding matching plates in a thrift store six months later....astronomical.

 

 

2 comments:

O'Quilts said...

We never lose our taste for color and whimsy. So great!!!

JustGail said...

Except for the set of good china that hasn't seen light of day since last time we had big family gathering for Thanksgiving at our house (15? years ago?), it's Corelle only in our kitchen. DH fusses about regular dishes being too heavy and easy to chip. Someday I'll replace all the olive green and mismatched pieces with plain white. And all the mismatched mugs, cups, glasses and water bottles.

I like that last set, cool that it came together months apart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts