9/06/2019

Oh no!! Don't grow!!!!


You probably don't remember how  I lamented last fall that I missed my usual source for amaryllis bulbs for holiday blooms.  Then it turned out I was able to find bulbs early  Dec. at a Walmart closeout and they bloomed when I came home from heart surgery in late January. Too late for the holidays but I enjoyed them immensely into February during my recovery.

Every year I try  to get them to go dormant with no success.  But this year I watered the foliage until it wilted of its own accord and seemed dormant.  I figured if I started watering them in October I would have blooms for the holidays..



Then mid July with no water and no encouragement  the darn things  just started growing and I'm distressed as it is way too early for holiday blooms but what do I know.

And when we got home from Norway they were looking terrific and if all goes well I will have amaryllis for a holiday but it will be Halloween instead of Christmas.

So now if I buy more bulbs at the usual time I can still have them for December.  And if I get more at closeouts in early December I will have blooms again for February and if I get the ones growing now to go dormant again I can have blooms for March and if I continue I will have blooms every month and pots of dormant bulbs under every bed and in every window.




Now that I know the secret to get them to go dormant I will try again and again. 

Things are looking up for selling the farm and may be doing it earlier than I thought... Again my careful planning may be all for naught.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Grandma I have 6 amaryllis bulbs currently trying to bloom. Considering they were for christmas I am feeling the same way. Now I know what to do to make them last. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts