10/21/2015

I might need a "Dowager!"

Now that I can actually see the corset cuties getting finished I can start thinking about the finished pieces...as there will be two books from these blocks. ... one each for my youngest granddaughters.
On the lining or back side of each "page" will be a vintage ad or two.  I began collecting them when I started the suffrage project as they were so much a part of women's lives at that time.
Some are elegant, some are humorous and some are frightening.  The ones I didn't save are the ones advertising corsets for pregnant women and corsets for young children.  Here are a few that will probably make the cut for the books.

How about the "Princess Hip" or the "Dowager" that will properly reduce stout figures to correct proportions.  What's with the spider element?
 Or how about the ad showing the old out-of-style silhouette vs. the newest look?

 And heaven forbid that we have brass eyelets.... haven't the foggiest what a "Paris clasp" was...
And there were a lot of whimsical ads which I'm sure were meant to target the young ladies with romance on their minds.....
 
Just the ads themselves would be a great set of blocks. I even gave that a thought at the beginning but opted for the "real" girls but happy to find a way in incorporate the ads into the project.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

I was thrilled when the pantie girdle replaced the old ironsides ones. I can't even imagine being laced into one of the corsets. Yikes!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I simply cannot imagine actually wearing one of those instruments of torture. Good thing I wasn't born 'back in the day'!!!!

lacysuzette said...

Yesterday, a friend sent me a link to a website that sells vintage items. Lo & behold--there is a section on Lingerie! The pink Vionnet corset trim, hook/eye corset trim & ribbons with attached lace would make a terrific addition to your blocks. In case you don't already know this place: http://vintagepassementerie.com/products-page/vintage-lingerie-trims/
I don't know the owner & have no connection with the business but plan to return to shop for embellishments for some of my own projects! I also wanted to offer you some scans of vintage corset ads that appeared in La Nouvelle Mode Janvier 1904. The various corsets had names: Thylda, Le Corset de "La Faculte", Le Merveilleux Marie-Antoinette", "Le Petit Merveilleux" & Merveilleuse Suissesse. Please note: the word corset is masculine in the language!! Recently, I've been printing out scans of some of the fashions so would be happy to share the corset info. If interested, please let me know where to send the scans.

Susan Elliott said...

They are all marvelous! And I had no idea they HAD corsets for pregnant women and children! Agh!

Have you gone to see Suffragette at the movies? It's on my list but I'll probably wait until it gets to On Demand...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts